Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When you quit was if after a planned last drink or in the moment?

Notices
View Poll Results: When you quit was it after a planned last hurrah or in the moment?
Quit after a planned last evening or drink
19.63%
Quit unplanned and in the moment
80.37%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

When you quit was if after a planned last drink or in the moment?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had been kinda stumbling toward it in November and December 2014 without a real "end date" in my head, just cutting back, didn't drink at holiday functions, etc. I had January 1 in mind as an absolute bright line end date, but then I didn't drink on December 30th or 31st and that was it. I haven't really looked back. I really think educating yourself about the disease and coming on SR, over time, makes the whole drinking thing less attractive. The process objectifies the disease and it makes it harder to make excuses for what really is just running the hamster wheel. I didn't feel genuine anymore when I told myself I was gonna get that bottle of wine because I had a hard day at work or my kids were driving me crazy or my husband was in a mood... They all just started to sound like excuses to me. That helped me stop.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had to plan it. I live in a very small village, so I had my last night at the local pub on new years eve. I always had to lie to everyone, I told everyone I was moving to Miami but really I was attempting to get sober which I have been now for 25 days.

I am eventually moving away on contract work but really wanted to get my priorities straight. And also I couldn't do it constantly going down and having a drink. Sounds quite bizarre but it was the only way it was going to work.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

After what I though was "successful" moderation (only a FEW bad nights), things came to a head. After already being on probation for an OUI, I got into a nasty argument with my girlfriend where I threw a chair across the room at her. She called my parents to come get me and a neighbor called the cops. Thankfully my parents showed up first and convinced the cops NOT to arrest me. I woke up the next day to a mini-intervention, but felt so relieved. The decision I had been trying to make for years was finally made for me. I'm feeling hopeful.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I had a realization of just how bad things had gotten and couldn't get far enough fast enough. I still had whiskey at the house so I went home made myself one last drink dumped the rest and did my 2012 taxes. I only had that one last drink because I thought it might be fuel for my brain later on like "I never got a goodbye drink". It probably wasn't necessary.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't plan it either. I had been getting increasingly sicker and weaker after about 8 years of hard drinking. After the zillionth 24-hour bender I woke up so sick that I couldn't even keep a sip down. I'd been contemplating the idea of quitting for a while by that point but hadn't made an attempt. So that day was just *the* day and I went with it. At first I couldn't imagine that I would never, ever drink again - so I didn't let my mind shape the path much or linger on the concept of forever. But pretty soon it became clear that I couldn't go back...EVER. (Go through the agony of withdrawal again? NO WAY.) And like clockwork life stepped in to test my resolve by throwing a bunch of big boulders in my path but I somehow managed to steer around them. It's been over two years now since *the* day and it hasn't always been easy, but recovery is the best thing I've ever experienced. xoxo
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Nonsensical, hit the nail on the head for me! One Last Hurrah... I think I've had about 100 of those....
Old 01-27-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I quit after having my first blackout. I'd been driving myself nuts for months (years?) about whether I had a problem with alcohol or not. I tried to moderate before but never to quit. The blackout was the end. I couldn't have planned one last drink. It wouldn't have been fun by any stretch, just depressing. It'd be like having one last date with an abusive boyfriend.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I quit in the middle of a drink.

Had bought a bottle of my personal poison to celebrate my divorce. Sat down, poured a shot, took a couple sips and poured out the rest. I was done.

Something inside me said "you don't want to do this anymore"

I had been in recovery and relapsing after 90 days for a couple of years at that time.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had thought about quitting many times, but, no, I didn't have a problem. After all, on a dare, I'd gone one year sober before. See, I could do it!

Then, the day after I woke up to a police officers flashlight in my face, and my car up against the neighbors house at 2:30am..well..I guess that would be my "in the moment" moment.

Nothing since, no desire since, and frankly, scared to death to think of what worse may have happened, and what worse I may do, if I do pick up again.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Trudging the Road

I quit the first time because I was physically unable to leave the house for any reason. Hardly any strength to walk. I got DT's and wound up in the hospital for a week. Definitely unplanned.

And to prove that wasn't enough, after 3 1/2 months of sobriety, I went back out! Stopped only because I endured over 3 days of hallucinations that scared the h*** outta me. Most definitely, unplanned.

Been sober for over 11 1/2 years, now. Just a fact, not a brag.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

couldn't vote in the poll
because I have done it both ways
planned my last drink years ago before entering treatment
this time sober my last drink came just before totaling our motor home
have not drank since

Mountainman
Old 01-27-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've tried a handful of times in the past. This time it was the day after the NFL Championship games. On that Sunday, I had a bunch of guys over, drank from 2PM until about 10PM. Must have had about 15+ drinks (beer/wine/vodka). Also ate all sorts of crappy "bar" food. For some reason, I didn't get overly slammed, but was definitely drunk. I remembered everything, cleaned up that night and even took a shower before bed. The next day I felt awful!! Right there I said, "no more!". Only 8 days in, but doing very well! Like we always hear, one day at a time!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Interesting question. I planned it - but I knew it was coming for at least a year. I had a milestone birthday, spent it with friends quietly but definitely and most certainly drunk.

After the weekend bender, I was done for real. I knew I had to be. With the exception of one totally unexplainable slip that resulted in a very scary blackout after what I think was 2 glasses of white wine I have been living a sober life for 17 months now.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

After I ran myself over with my own car I figured that maybe I had a problem and should do something about it. Definitely not planned
Old 01-27-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Not planned, but like others, planned every day I drank. Had an exceptionally drunken time at a friend's birthday party, woke up the next weekend and decided something needed to change. One of the best decisions I've ever made.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I started reading a book on overcoming alcohol addiction. It told me to go out and have a blast for my last time, come back and finish the book, and determine to never drink again.

I drank all weekend, came back and read the book in 2 days and I was done forever!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I had to start drinking at noon to stave off severe withdrawal symptoms. That's when I knew I was in trouble. My last night drinking I bought a crap load of poison because I had to start at noon. I drank till about Midnight, passed out in my own puke and urine. I woke up, took a shower, and I've been sober ever since. Only 16 days so far, but I'm feeling good.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Great question!
I quit once I tried to sit my mother down so I could *TRY and make her understand the DISEASE OF ADDICTION VIA YOUTUBE videos* HA! The disappointment lead me out. She said words that still remain crisp 74 days later… "I'm sick of not knowing who is going to walk through the front door…"

Crawled into my closet… Cried… Surrendered at a meeting.
THIS SITE got me there, got me here, will get me to tomorrow <3
Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

A bit of both really. After my new year bender, which was a bad one, my new years resolution kicked in. 3 weeks sober today, not been sober this long since November 2009.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

For me, anytime I planned my last drink, it was really a plan so that I wouldn't have to stop. It was just delaying something I didn't really WANT to do at the time because my ego wouldn't allow it.

After my last binge I knew deep down that any control I thought I had, I didn't have. I was done. A big blow to my ego and was quite humbling to be honest.