Notices

Frustration

Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Frustration

I feel like I am at the end of a street, and I have to turn the corner and begin a new direction. Thing is, I am leaving my old support system (alcohol) behind. I know it was never a support system, but it seems like the many times I have been shoved up against a wall, the alcohol helped me not to be sick at my stomach -- helped me cope. I'm crying while I write this, and this all sounds like I'm feeling sorry for myself, but really, I'm facing up to my weakness.

Now, what I thought was helping me has turned against me and is ruining my health. I have to give it up! I have made a good start. I have gone one full week without any wine (my poison of choice) in the house. But that's not good enough. This week -- step 2: No alcohol at all! Not in a restaurant or anywhere else! This is hard.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're making the right decision. You will thank yourself. I'm 15 days sober and feeling great.

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yep, what Justin said. Good luck xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
Alcohol was my support system, too. Then it became a problem. Then it became a really big problem as I crossed that invisible line into alcoholism.
From there alcohol made my life a living nightmare. Couldn't drink and couldn't not drink. I was at the end.
After many attempts at quiting I was finally able to.
Now my support system is God, a therapist and a doctor.

I know where you're coming from. Alcohol was my crutch for many years. You can find a sober life and a new, better, support system.

Best to you.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you thought about getting help? I suggest you go to AA and learn about the disease and the solution in the Big Book. ******{hugs}}}}
Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations. It can be hard in the beginning but it does get easier.

It can be very emotional when we reach out and admit we have a problem and a new direction is a good idea.

There is a lot of info on this site and lots of help when you need it, just ask.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you're definitely not alone, and have come to a good place to find support and inspiration to honor your choice and commit to sobriety.

welcome.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am astonished that seven people have already spoken to me. Seven people have lifted me up higher than I have been in a long time. Seven people may actually keep me sober this day. How do I say thank you?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mary2

im at day 33....it gets easier every day...you have made a wise choice...stick with it xxxxxxxx
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Hamartia View Post
I am astonished that seven people have already spoken to me. Seven people have lifted me up higher than I have been in a long time. Seven people may actually keep me sober this day. How do I say thank you?
Look at it like this. Perhaps, some time soon, you can say these things to a newcomer and lift them up too It's a marvellous place. I wish it had been around in my younger days xxxxxxxx
Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You aren't alone. And in sobriety, you will find a great strength within you that you can't even fathom exists right now. Welcome.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. SR has been a great support to me and I know it can be for you too. Wine was my best friend, or so I thought. Turns out it turned on me. Keep coming back!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

We do understand how hard this is.

I hope that you stop drinking and make a choice to live a sober life. Alcohol helped me to cope too and I began drinking to self-medicate. Not surprisingly, the period where it 'helped' me in my life, was so small. You will be able to find healthy ways to cope with life.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am having trouble learning how to navigate this website, but I'm sure with time, I'll figure this out.

To those who replied to my earlier post, I can't thank you enough! I have not had anything to drink today! Many times during the day, I thought about stopping for a drink somewhere, but I thought of those of you who replied to my post this morning, and I just didn't stop. I didn't know how much it means to have the support of others who have gone through this. Thank you.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Harmartia

it is hard - but there's tons of support here.
congrats on nearing the end of day one!

D
Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hamartia - Congratulations on taking the first step. You are going to be so happy that you are doing this for yourself. It may not be easy -- BUT it is sooooo worth it!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I got so much work done yesterday -- totally sober!

Day 2: My challenge begins again! I pray to God that I will not go back to where I was just a week ago -- Drinking a bottle of wine every day. I hope my health will improve soon.

Has anyone heard of a disease called "alcoholic lung disease?" I find myself always getting short of breath - even on a short walk in a parking lot or something like that. I was just wondering about this.

I have started a journal writing down quotes and Biblical scriptures on various topics that I need to work on. I found this quote a few days ago:

"Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power." by Seneca
Old 01-28-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm."
Proverbs 13:20

I am grateful, now, to be walking with the wise since I have found this website and all of you! May God (however you perceive God to be) be with all of us today.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Two days ago, I was great -- my first day of sobriety. Today, I am defeated and alone.