Notices

Underlying causes of drinking or not?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

UnixBer, very accurate assessment. We humans are extremely social creatures and will do most anything to fit in with a group. I enjoyed using chemical substances for many many years and when they started causing me problems quitting them turned out to be very difficult. Why? Addiction, physical dependence. Our bodies acclimate them into us and get accustomed to them and then when we try to remove them our bodies complain vigorously as we all well know. It takes time for our bodies to "rehab", but it can be done. Rootin for ya.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've never felt I was anxious, depressed, angry, or anything else. I just loved the way alcohol made me feel. Period.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goose1 View Post
IMO there is truth to what you say Unixber. Perhaps some of us alcoholics don't find out we have emotional issues until we start drinking. One thing I know for sure is alcoholism is progressive and when drinking and then sober helps to suppress feelings. I truly feel everyone is unique, because everyone is different. The differences are so wide spread, I'm sure reasons to drink go from one end of the spectrum to the other end. It sure seems like the experts want to treat emotions when treating one with this addiction. Hired for our skills, education, experiences and fired for our behavior. Initially and early; although a long time ago, I think I actually picked up under peer pressure. But it led to a long time of drinking and binge drinking, killing my reality and judgment. Today, acceptance has helped with many of my emotions including any social anxiety I may have developed. Thanks for sharing. Goose
Peer pressure from my own family to have a drink definitely made me weak. No excuses, no blame. Just the way it was. I'd been sober for 3 years and went on a cruise with my family. The night before at a motel was my birthday and I still stayed sober amongst 10 people amidst their telling me to have a birthday drink. I didn't. I finally got wore down on the 12 day cruise and started out with wine. By the end of the cruise I was back to my liter of vodka. I should have stayed strong. I'd never told my family I was an alcoholic but everyone will know this time around.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lots of interesting insight and ideas. I still have difficulties accepting the idea of addictive personality, and would rather view things from a chemical perspective.

When I initially wrote that I didn't feel there was any underlying reason for the beginning of my drinking, I still feel that I may have continued in order to be accepted. As a matter of fact, I think I've thought of myself as a kind of freak. Maybe in a certain way "over-intelligent" or something like that. And I drank in order to level out with everyone (lol, sounds pretty egotistical but still). But there is some truth in that. I thought that I'm some kind of freak who doesn't understand how to live, and that when I get drunk I'll just stumble upon the right actions and things... without having to consider myself of the consequences.

But these things are sometimes well hidden and not so obvious. And I feel there is truth about this freak-show-thing. We all would propably like to blend in and be accepted as we are among other people.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's really hard to pin down what is going on in your subconscious psyche. You may analyze our behavior and think you were just getting drunk because you wanted to and thats it. sometimes a closer look especially with the help of a therapist can make you realize there is a lot more to it
Old 01-31-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I just found, at an early age, that alcohol numbed sad feelings and fears for me. Being a bit over sensitive, I felt this way a lot, so started to rely on booze whenever I felt down and it just sort of built up over the years.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Cool

Underlying issues, or causes, is certainly a school of thought, but I prefer what it says in the BB, in "The Doctor's Opinion" ---------

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol." (Depending on your version/edition, this is located on page xxvi, xxviii, or 5)

(o:
NoelleR
Old 01-31-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I drank to feel good. It didn't last as long as I'd hoped.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yep. The Doctor's opinion is the right thing to go by with. It is the basic truth.
Still there may be something deeper in the psyche after all when all is said and done. And it may be interesting to unravel that. It may be things like why we are here, stuff from past lives, what we really want. And all kinds of hidden emotions to reveal. So I find it interesting.