Notices

Counting days

Old 01-26-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counting days

I realize this is going to sound ridiculous but counting days makes me nervous. Well, everything makes me nervous! But I am so worried about the number of days I have and if I can make it to one more. Is it necessary to count sober days or can I just really truly think of it as one day at a time and forget about yesterday and tomorrow? I know days are important to a lot of people and I find it really impressive how people make it but counting my days makes me anxious!
Old 01-26-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Made me anxious too. Have a look at the rational recovery approach to this. They strongly suggest you don't count days... x
Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I stopped counting days awhile back, I would have to look at my exact join date to know for sure. I will probably check sometime next fall, because I do want to know when it has been one year. For some it seems to help, for others it doesn't.

You do what works for you, there are no rules. Ultimately it doesn't matter if it's 1 day, or 1,000 because it is only today that matters.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You can narrow your focus to an instant, 2BHappier, the present instant. You can stop collecting and fretting about the days in the past when you were sober, and stop fretting about the ones in the future which haven't yet happened. The only time when you can choose to not drink is now. Now is the only time when anything happens.

A very powerful and interesting thing happens when you decide to not drink in this present instant, and to vow to keep that decision forever, no matter what. You are sober and sober for good.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
You can narrow your focus to an instant, 2BHappier, the present instant. You can stop collecting and fretting about the days in the past when you were sober, and stop fretting about the ones in the future which haven't yet happened. The only time when you can choose to not drink is now. Now is the only time when anything happens.

A very powerful and interesting thing happens when you decide to not drink in this present instant, and to vow to keep that decision forever, no matter what. You are sober and sober for good.
Absolutely true....

Jess
Old 01-26-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just write down your sobriety date somewhere and forget about counting the days, just live each one the best you can, soberly. Then if you ever need a boost, add up your days and pat yourself on the back.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Lol you know how you get thousands and thousands of days sober? One day at a time. I still on occasion like to glance at the sobriety counter on here. The most important thing for me to remember is to be grateful for every day sober. I've lost track after all these years of how many people I've known that died from this.
If you believe in God start off a day in prayer an give thanks after the end of the day.
An lastly be of service to others it's been helpful for me to stay sober.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, it has helped keep me from drinking. I know I have 73 days now and I really don't want to go back to day one.

I can see how it might induce anxiety though. If it works for you to ignore the number then you should do it.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I counted it was a focus until I had greater confidence, but early days are all about getting different tricks to get you through if it doesn't help it's not good .
Stay on here and keep on it really is a great help and a tonic when needed.
Your doing well.
John.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Success doesn't actually lie in counting days or not - it lies in not drinking and being happy with that decision.

Do whatever you feel is right for you 2b - just don't drink

D
Old 01-26-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Success doesn't actually lie in counting days or not - it lies in not drinking and being happy with that decision.

Do whatever you feel is right for you 2b - just don't drink

D
I do agree, I've seen some people with more years then me and I didn't want what they had. Enjoying it is essential in helping to stay sober as well
Old 01-26-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My counting days in recovery began in rehab
where I had to stay sober for 28 days. Then, when
I left to return home, I continued with a 6 week
out patient aftercare program along with doing
whatever else I needed to stay on track and
remain sober.

Those first 28 days not drinking and being
in a controlled inviroment allowed me to learn
about my addiction and received some useful
tools to take with me on my recovery journey.

It was family pulling an intervention on me
and doing for me what I certainly couldn't or
wouldn't do for myself. Get me help for my
addiction before I killed myself. And it was
that close.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

I counted the days in the beginning,because to me it was amazing to be sober yet another day.

I don' count them now,it would drive me barmy!

Congratulations on your sober time.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks, all. I am relieved to know that I don't HAVE to count my days. A lot of emotion and nerves are causing me issues since I stopped drinking and I am trying to eliminate or minimize the unnecessary stress. Some stuff I can't eliminate or minimize and actually should just go through (even though I don't always like it, like yesterday when I felt so mad). But not counting is a relief to me.

You are all incredibly patient and kind. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck and congrats on the time you have so far. Do what works for you, its YOUR recovery :-)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The fact is, if counting days makes you anxious or nervous, then you should probably not do it. Unless you can get some benefit out of it, then there really is no point in counting days. Use what you can for your benefit, and discard everything else!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I count the days and sometimes it has made me nervous or feeling vain. I do it to keep a scientific data on how long it took me to get rid of some symptoms permanently and how paws has gotten better. May not work for everyone but I like to keep it in the form of a recovery journal. Sometimes get too lazy to update it though.

It's like a memento and something clear to grasp onto and be proud of. It's along the lines of thinking that 'time does not lie'.

AVRT propably didn't recommend counting days, but I still agree with and use AVRT. Maybe finding a good mix will do the trick. Or maybe I should stop counting at some point? Not sure.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Accumulate enough sobriety and it will be too burdensome to count the sober days.

Wouldn't that be wonderful!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

Great advice here. If it works for you, do it, if it doesn't, don't.

I started a thread in the women's section, a little challenge, trying to make sobriety FUN. I don't focus on the days at all, at one time I did. So the numbers that are there from the women who've joined, is to only show, and help others any way we can.

I thought a 30 day challenge would be fun, no pressure, just fun.

What we learn each sober day is what it's all about, to not go back.

You're doing good, you're talking things out.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't count days either.. I find that when I do I focus too much on being sober and not having alcohol. I'd rather just not think about it and just focus on not drinking today.