Notices

Oh! I get it - I need a plan EVERY day

Old 01-26-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh! I get it - I need a plan EVERY day

Good morning, Day 2! Hope you're ready for me to kick your butt because that's exactly what I'm planning to do.

As I've said already, I want this crack at sobriety to look and feel different. In the past I thought I knew all about having a plan. A plan for Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas parties, New Year's Eve, Girl's Night Out, a concert, etc., etc. That's all well and good but doesn't help me in my day-to-day life. Thanks to Anchorbird's post this a.m., I get it. I need a plan every, single day - especially in these precious early days.

Here is today's plan:

*Up before anyone else to post, reflect and get my plan in place.

*Showered and dressed before noon (crazy talk to an active addict on the weekend).

*Cut coupons and plan this week's dinners for my family BEFORE a trip to the grocery store instead of roaming around aimlessly trying to find ingredients for the easiest, fastest meals that compliment my wine intake.

*A visit to the grocery store BEFORE noon so as to stave off any temptation of buying (thank you Texas Blue Laws).

*Drive my 12-year old and his best friend to Cotillion without a hang-over. I will actually watch the class instead of checking the clock every few minutes praying for it to end SOON so I can get home and start drinking - all the while cursing myself for signing him up in the first place since it interfered with my weekend drinking.

*Spend quality time with my children truly being in their presence instead of thinking of them as an annoyance and interruption to my addiction.

*Enjoy a leisurely Sunday dinner with my mom truly grateful that she cooks for us every other Sunday instead of (again) clock watching counting the seconds until I can bolt home and get to my wine.

*Order up another 24 hours on SR when my current time is up.

*Get everyone ready for Monday on Sunday night instead of drinking myself into oblivion and paying the price on Monday a.m. Trying to get kids ready for the week as well as get myself ready for work with a hang-over sucks. Truly.

*Enjoy a glass of hot tea while reading & posting on SR threads as well as my blog before bedtime tonight.

It's a tall order I know but I know I can do it. I promise I won't bore you all with these details every day; I just feel like I need accountability this day. Thanks for being here with me as I can't do it without you all!

Today is Day 2 and I chose sobriety. Thank God.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're certainly not boring me! This day looks very similar to my days now and they are making me very, very happy. The biggest thing is the relief of not having to hide anything. That was EXHAUSTING me. I am so freed up now and it feels amazing.

Keep up the good work! I believe in you!

Jackie
Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Want to make God laugh tell him your plans.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Heartsafire...In here with you for another sober day....enjoy
Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The most important plan of each day for
me is to stay sober. I can make all sorts
of plans in hopes to stay sober, but if im
not sober, I can't do anything else.

If Ive accomplished one task that day
then that huge. BIG.

Please in the Morning to help stay sober
this day and Thank You at night for
helping stay sober that day.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DAB

Congrats on day 2!
Your plan is good and your attitude is better.
Sometimes I wonder how I ever had time to drink when I take care of all my responsibilities properly.
Then it dawns on me, drinking was my number 1 responsibility and everything else came 2nd.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job on day 2.

I have to be honest though - my kids were annoyances and irritations in the first few weeks, still are to some degree. Don't feel bad if you don't suddenly feel all "sound of music" around them. I'm a LOT better now at 4 weeks then I was at 1 and 2, but it's still trying at times to be a newly sober mom.

I do think an everyday plan is critical. A foundation of my plan is to post in the morning and in the evening every single day in the January thread. It's has really helped me to feel accountable to a group.

Keep going!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like you're doing well.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This was an enjoyable read. Thanks for posting
Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Perfect!

Sounds like you have your priorities in order. Those kids are counting on you... and I am sure they are enjoying your attention.

Congratulations on day 2. One Day at a Time!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackieC View Post
You're certainly not boring me! This day looks very similar to my days now and they are making me very, very happy. The biggest thing is the relief of not having to hide anything. That was EXHAUSTING me. I am so freed up now and it feels amazing.

Keep up the good work! I believe in you!

Jackie
Toward the end the hiding was just as hard as the drinking. I began to dread both equally, Jackie. And both caused emense amounts of shame. It's refreshing not to be tethered to either today!

I believe in you too!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Congrats on day 2!
Your plan is good and your attitude is better.
Sometimes I wonder how I ever had time to drink when I take care of all my responsibilities properly.
Then it dawns on me, drinking was my number 1 responsibility and everything else came 2nd.
Ain't that the truth, Ruth!

And not only did I think I was doing & being everything to everyone while blitzed, I thought I was doing it well. Wow! If that's not a testament to how my addiction had me encumbered in deep levels of denial I don't know what is!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adee View Post
Good job on day 2.

I have to be honest though - my kids were annoyances and irritations in the first few weeks, still are to some degree. Don't feel bad if you don't suddenly feel all "sound of music" around them. I'm a LOT better now at 4 weeks then I was at 1 and 2, but it's still trying at times to be a newly sober mom.

I do think an everyday plan is critical. A foundation of my plan is to post in the morning and in the evening every single day in the January thread. It's has really helped me to feel accountable to a group.

Keep going!
I so appreciate the reality check. I've read so many threads about husbands, kids & people in general irritating the hell out of those early in recovery so I know it's a possibility. Maybe having it on my radar will help alleviate the guilt that will inevitably come along with it.

Thank you also for sharing what is working for you. I love hearing that. I take a little here & there & tailor it to fit my recovery.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Go sister go !!!!!

You got this.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Sounds great! Routines are necessary!

And put in a bit of gentle me time!! Bubble bath, reading time, enjoying a simple hobby.

I wish you well!
Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Keep it up.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I started planning out each day early on in my recovery. It was very beneficial to me as it kept me on track when I didn't know what I should be doing.

I recommend getting a planner or calendar to write down what you're going to do each day if you don't already have one.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
instant

A central theme for me early in my recovery became "do not run from pain"- by which I meant all unpleasantness and minor irritations in my life. Kids are a pain, classes are boring and shopping is a drag....on top of that no one appreciates our efforts.

My higher power in early recovery were shadows and reflections- when I was experiencing anything uncomfortable I would remind myself to watch or look for reflections and shadows. It opened me up to another way of being in and participating in the world.

Having said that I like your plan - didn't see what you would do for yourself though? Treat yourself like a friend

sobriety is an adventure
Old 01-26-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for that! I keep forgetting that a plan is extremely helpful. So simple!!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks to those who mentioned putting myself on the list. I can't believe I left me off!! I used to put myself at the top of the list all the time. Bad part about that is that my me time always involved alcohol. Here is a new wrinkle to recovery that I had not considered. Hmm...

Thankfully I see a thread about this very subject ("You used to reward yourself with alcohol, what now"). Heading on over to check it out...

Thank you all again for ALL the feedback & encouragement.