Notices

Music is my new booze

Old 01-26-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music is my new booze

Lately I've rediscovered music. Now if I need to change my state of mind I can just put on my headphones and close my eyes. It's almost as good as booze! Right now I'm listening to Imagine Dragons and Adele. I highly recommend them. Imagine Dragons lyrics seem to speak to me sometimes. Lots of very inspiring songs. One talks about going on a walk on a Saturday night and running his shaking hands through his hair wondering what to do now, what to do next.

Anyways, I just wanted to share that little revelation. I used to think I could only really feel the music when I drank but really the opposite is true.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've lately started to notice the same. I used to prefer silence when drinking, but now music really seems like totally new 'drug'.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I completely agree! I've rediscovered lots of great music, and with a clear mind, it's even better. I've always discovered playing online poker too. For play money, of course. I'm too cheap to risk losing even one dollar (and I would lose, I'm not very good).
Old 01-26-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow DanicaB, I discovered this one by Imagine Dragons yesterday, I love it!

Imagine Dragons - Demons Lyrics - YouTube!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And I love Adele!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
waking down

Music has always been one of my favorite drugs. Clarity is my new high. I'm thinking my taste in music is changing with sobriety, but I haven't quite figured that one out yet. Leaning toward acoustic and more peaceful rather than loud and angry. Just not numb enough for that stuff anymore, I guess.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I never stopped going to shows or listening to music.... but now that I'm sober I am able to enjoy a concert A LOT more!

No trips to the bar for another beer or to the bathroom and the memories of the show are clear and complete.

17 concerts in 2013 and I'm hoping to break that record this year!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

I thought I was the only one that picked up this trend . Haha. But my go to has been more along the lines of EDM lol. Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, Avicii, Zedd, Seven Lions, Pendulum.... I'll stop naming artists/DJ's now haha.
Heard that this is picking up speed in rehab clinics too, something called Music therapy. It apparently helps addicts recover from many types of addictions and helps with PTSD as well.