Notices

Just like clockwork

Old 01-25-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just like clockwork

Welp, it's 5:00 on a Saturday night and my AV is poking around wanting to know what we're drinking tonight and when we're going to start. It can't wait much longer - or so it says.

Instead of trying to fight this beast on my own, I'm reaching out for help.

I've got to go to the grocery store where the Super Bowl beer and wine displays will be front & center at each turn. For added protection I'm taking my 12 year old son with me. He will be a constant reminder that it's not just me that benefits from winning this battle. His presence will remind me that nothing good can come from taking my buggy down the beer & wine aisle. It's night 1 so I'm going with the "whatever it takes mentality."

Today is Day 1. Thank God.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stick by SR - that sounds like a plan HeartsAFire - read around and post as much as you like.

Check out our Class of January support thread if you haven't already
Tons of support here.

welcome

D
Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

With more sober time you will notice the alcohol less and less. I don't give it a second thought now when I'm at the store. (the wine aisle is in front) I just go past it without a glance.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello Hearts. Glad you posted.

There are many hurdles to get over - especially in the early days of recovery. I was very fragile in the beginning - but I gained strength every time I made it through a tempting situation. It won't stay this challenging forever - it gets so much easier and better. I agree with Dee - stick around here. It'll help with the anxiety. We are with you.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the quick responses! Ask & ye shall receive! I was able to look at them while at the store. It was surprisingly easier than I thought. I was even able to silently whisper a little "F.U." to ALL the wine & beer displays. Funny enough the Girl Scouts selling their cookies were more tempting than the alcohol. Whew!

I will be around tonight for sure in between playing games w/my daughter (son is going to a sleepover). Someone on my intro thread suggested the 24 hr club. I'm headed there next.

Thank you all again!! Won't be able to do this without you!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

HAF,

Think of how good you'll feel tomorrow morning!

Stay strong.

TC
Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thinking of you. My AV is chattering too because it's the weekend and there are five out of six beers left in the fridge. Not gonna do it. I'd toss them but my "normal" spouse would be horrified! Anyway, hang in there tonight.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hellome View Post
Thinking of you. My AV is chattering too because it's the weekend and there are five out of six beers left in the fridge. Not gonna do it. I'd toss them but my "normal" spouse would be horrified! Anyway, hang in there tonight.
I've got stuff here too for my "normal" spouse. Thank god it's stuff I never touched or I'd have to pour it out & suffer the horrified response later.

Together we can fight our smarmy little POS AVs & win!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're doing great Hearts. I wisper those same things sometimes, but I seem to be doing it less and less as time goes on. Good job being aware that it is your AV poking at you. I do still tell my AV to f-off quite a bit
Old 01-25-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Another WIN!

I know when I first stopped that it seemed like all I saw were places to buy and consume alcohol whenever I left home. The fact that there are about a dozen of them within 1/2 mile of home probably caused this..... but now that I am 18 months sober, I don't even notice.

I was thinking about a substitute for you to enjoy instead of alcohol.....

How about some more of those YUMMY ice cream bars!! GO AHEAD.... you know you want to!!!

Have a GREAT night!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"How about some of those YUMMY ice cream bars!! GO AHEAD.... you know you want to!!!"

Thanks for the encouragement, Hope, but remind me NOT to pick you as my Weight Watchers sponsor!!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Good plan heart
Whatever works for you. Day 1 is great start
Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like u want sobriety badly and putting steps in place to keep sober keep strong and keep posting