Notices

Back to day 1

Old 01-25-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to day 1

I was on day 6 yesterday, and decided I was going to drink a few. Ended up having five 16 oz beers at 5.5 %. Felt like crap this morning and went back to bed until 2pm.

It took me a about 20 minutes to get the first drink. Then a few minutes to take the first sip after I opened it. I thought about just giving it to my husband. But I didn't. The first couple sips tasted weird, I thought to myself.

So today, I guess I'm on day one again. I thought about saying I was still on day 6. Being sober for 5 days counts for something right?

I am extremely unstable emotionally today, since I awoke. I yelled and screamed at my husband for playing with a potato gun. I yelled at the bank csr for a charge. I've cried. I feel out of control.

I don't think I have the urge to drink today. I went and got caffeine free Coke. But I did smoke some pot. I started smoking again when I quit drinking last Sunday, but not a lot. Some would say that I'm not truly sober then. But I think I am if I'm not drinking. Right?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Some would say that I'm not truly sober then. But I think I am if I'm not drinking. Right?

It's your call to make. What do you think?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi Jill
The way you posed the question tells me that you have doubts in your heart. If you need alc to change the way you feel, then your an alcoholic;the only way to be sober & stay sober is completely not drink 1 day @ a time. As for the dry goods, it's substituting 1 addiction for another. But it's a free country & you can do as you please; I've only had trouble w/ alc. if its causing trouble in your life, join a recovery group preferably aa. No shame there as its whats saved my life
Best wishes
Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never viewed pot or being high a bad thing or not being "sober". It's been around me since I was born. My mom smokes and my sis and are very successful. I didn't pick up drinking all the time until I quit smoking 7 years ago. I understand that I am probably just replacing alcohol, but at least I'm alert and awake even when smoking a little, than drunk and with a splitting headache the next day.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your relationship with mind altering substances is up to you to analyze.

Personally, I've been drinking a lot of caffeine (tea only. Can't stand coffee or sugary drinks). But that doesn't bother me because I have never had a bad relationship with caffeine. Alcohol on the other hand... can't touch it.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jillian

I get the sense you want someone to tell you you're on day 6 and that it's ok to smoke a little pot, LOL.

You haven't lost those 5 days you had, all your achievements are still there...but I think it's important to be honest too.

For whatever reason you took up again with the thing that you came to us for help with Thats not good.

As for pot - I could never stay sober when I smoked. When I was high I wanted to drunk - when I was drunk I wanted to get high.

Being high screwed with my decision making faculties and weakened my resolve...and being stoned hits the same part of me that alcohol did - it helped me run away from dealing with my problems, and gradually, like booze, it took over my life..

It's not a step forward...it's a step sideways...maybe even a step backward IMO.

D