Notices

looking forward to meeting myself (newbie)

Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking forward to meeting myself (newbie)

So ive been a binge drinker since 16, and i am now 31. From being on SR these past few days listening to others it has taught me alot about myself. Now 4 days sober i am anxious to see who i really am. Since alcohol has been my life for so long, and has altered my thoughts, my personality, my habits, my social skills(i feel socially ********), etc... i feel like i lost myself in those bottles of vodka. Like who am i? This one question is my main motivation to stay sober because i really wanna know. Anyone else feel like this? Well i myself cant wait to find out! SR is awesome btw. Y'all are awesome.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome, Toodie xxxx
Old 01-25-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toodie View Post

i feel like i lost myself in those bottles of vodka. Like who am I ?
good to have you here Toodie

yes the old liquid devil can suck the best of us away
the good news is
you sound very willing to start your new life without booze
plus you are young
many do not have the desire to change until much later in life
your new sober self should be reveled very soon
if
we don't pick up a drink today or give in to the devil

Mountainman
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a very friendly supportive site. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I lost myself in the bottle. In fact, I lost everything. Now three years sober, I have everything I need and more.
As for the changes, mine were momentous. I guess it was just realizing that life is actualy livable on it's terms.
As for my personality, I became a more empathetic person. I am nice to people now, whereas I used brawl and dislike just about everyone.
I love helping people now. I feel needed. When while drinking, I was scorned.

In short, I was a bad drunk and the only that changed was everything.
You have a lot to look forward to. And I wish you the best.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Toodie - Wow did you ever strike an accord with me as a "binge drinker." I was also, often 12 hrs and 2 days at a time. Today I'm 55, 72 days Sober and 24 hours at a time. Who am I? I know the booze made me self-centered, cause that's all I cared about. Today, I am not ! I care for my family, work, my church and people. The booze destroyed who we are socially. So, your not socially ********! It was the booze. Stay sober and day by day I guarantee you will gain confidence. I can relate to what you are feeling. But take it slow, enjoy the sobriety ride and don't want everything too fast. Take each moment of each day and cherish it. And surely the new Toodie will begin to flourish. At first we all feel lost in what we had done. Today - I look more forward to a day of Sobriety and never think about a day of drinking. Toodie people are going to respect you for your decision. I do. For me as soon as I completely and fully accepted who I was, is the moment I began to change. My depression, anxiety and irritability began to subside and go away. I still have my bouts, but not as bad and today it doesn't set me off to drink. Everyday you wake up and commit to another day of Sobriety. And you are going to find out just how "Wonderful" you are. Here is a song for you Toodie Peace... Five for Fighting-The Riddle (lyrics) - YouTube I hope it helps. Sign up at the 24 Hour Club. Deeker is the best of friends. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-welcome.html