Notices

anyone experienced dizziness after gym

Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anyone experienced dizziness after gym

13 days sober (alcohol). Not only am I an alcoholic but I have panic disorder as well. I just did a 10 min cardio workout about an hour ago and now I'm feeling quite dizzy an hour later. I haven't had a good cardio workout in a long time. Is this normal or am I overthinking this? Is there anybody here that experienced this after sobering up? I don't remember ever feeling like this after the gym. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you had anything to eat prior to or after your workout?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, actually since I stopped drinking I've had a couple of panic episodes where I've actually passed out. Never happened while I was drinking but probably because I was numbing myself and now have to learn how to deal with the anxiety as it comes.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I experienced this today actually. And oddly enough, I'm 13 days sober as well!

We can't give medical advice on here but I'll tell you what happened to me:
I did chest today. I got dizzy AFTER my workout. Called doctor, (we have gotten close in the last few months. She has a grad student she's training, and I'm the first alcoholic she's treated)

My issue was that I was probably dehydrated. They asked if I had any chest pain, shortness of breath (other than being winded from workout obviously) or pain anywhere in my chest. I said no, and they told me to get some Gatorade.

Sure enough, I felt better after about an hour.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Vincenz you don't mention your age or physical condition but I'd suggest that you get a general physical with a doctor. My blood pressure plummeted when I gave up alcohol which caused some dizziness but I had medical supervision through that. Your gym workout will only add to your general fitness if it's designed for you and your needs, your needs have to be ascertained by your doctor. Can you make an appointment for early next week?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
Your gym workout will only add to your general fitness if it's designed for you and your needs, your needs have to be ascertained by your doctor. Can you make an appointment for early next week?
I forgot to put that part in my post. I've been under doctor supervision for a ton of stuff. I had full blood / urinalysis done, stress test, and an EKG before my doctor gave me the go ahead.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had some chicken and pasta before I went. I came home and started to feel dizzy so I ate a piece of wheat bread, an orange and some pineapple juice. I didn't even mess with the weights today since it was my first day back in the gym. Today I just wanted to get some blood flowing. i'm probably just going to do cardio for a week or two before I hit the weights, but yea I think it had something to do with my blood/sugar cause now I'm feeling a little better after eating. I set the machine for 20min (yea right!)-I made it 11 min. Oh well, I'm back in the gym at least and I will definitely m,ale sure to eat better before I go next time. Gratz on 12 full days sober Justin! I've been reading your posts since I joined less than 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow when we wake up will have 13 days under our belts.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a good point Marcher, perhaps I will go back to the Doc for a physical. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's easy to push ourselves, maybe too hard too soon?

we can really do a number on ourselves with weeks, moths, or even years of drinking and drugging.

D
Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Vincenz, yes I'm excited as hell. I've beaten my record. I just have to get this health stuff figured out with me.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im 34yo - 6'2" - and 225lbs. Im bout 15 llbs overweight. I will definitely eat something right before I go to the gym next time though. Overall though, I am slowly but surely feeling a little bit better everyday.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If I am dieting I can get pretty lightheaded after a workout. Low blood sugar might be a culprit. Also, make sure you are hydrated properly. If you get a dizzy spell, sit down. Could save your dentalwork..
Old 01-25-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes to your original question and it is usually after intense cardio.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've had that problem also. For me, it is due to dehydration. Drinking a lot of water helps a lot.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That happens to me when I am low on protein. I try to have a bowl of oatmeal or eggs less than an hour before I work out.