Notices

Emotional rollercoaster

Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional rollercoaster

Having a hard time recently. I have taken on too much responsibility before I quit drinking and I am feeling like right now the only thing I can really take on is concentrating on getting healthy and taking care of my family. I have had about 5 bad melt downs this week and my husband is fed up. I am afraid to tell the people that I've committed to helping that I just cannot do it and I am not dealing well with this situation. I feel like I will be letting so many people down if I don't do it. Thing is my husband has no sympathy for the fact that I am struggling a bit. He just gets angry when I break down. Lemmie tell you my break downs are pretty emotional these days. I know that I can never drink again and I know that I am making a major transition in my life. When I tell my husband that I am having a hard time he gives me the attitude, " well deal with it, you are an adult" He's right I know I have to suck it up. But I feel like I am on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster and this site is my only support.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Cusper.....sorry you are struggling & hope that things get easier soon. It is OK to put your sobriety first & not take on more than you feel you can. You will find understanding here....keep posting & hang in there.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cusper - we're all in this together! Remember that no one is ever perfect, and sometimes you just have to gracefully apologize and say no. It feels scary and confrontational, but at the end of the day your health and well being are more important that any prior commitments. If you aren't feeling your best, how are you going to help others?

Hang in there! Wishing you a positive weekend
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Cusper. Sorry you are feeling stressed out. Is there any way you can lighten the load on the responsibilities by sharing one, some or all of them with someone else? Enlisting support?

Post away. We are here for support.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with ruby.

I know it's very hard to say no, but I think it's a very necessary skill to learn - is there anyway at all you can lighten you load cusper?

D
Old 01-24-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes Ruby, I was actually just thinking that I will see if I can get someone to take on some of the duties that I know I cannot work on. Thank you for the responses. I feel like now that I am sober I am learning to be an adult. Where as being the perpetual partier kept me frozen in a certain immaturity. Now I know that I have quite a few things to face and a lot of that means learning to even say no to people if the decision is right for my well being.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One person can deal with only so much responsibility. You must be able to say 'no' when you are asked to handle something. Let someone else do it for once. You are primarily responsible for yourself. Put yourself first.