Notices

Celebrity Alcoholic

Old 01-24-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrity Alcoholic

In case anyone else is encouraged by celebrity recovery stories. If not just ignore this thread

elizabeth-vargas-alcoholic-article
Old 01-24-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am glad that Ms Vargas is taking care of herself and has a sponsor. Hopefully her sponsor will explain to her tradition 11 and its ramifications.

Tradition 11: Our relations with the general public should be characterized by personal anonymity. We think A.A. ought to avoid sensational advertising. Our names and pictures as A.A. members ought not be broadcast, filmed, or publicly printed. Our public relations should be guided by the principle of attraction rather than promotion. There is never need to praise ourselves. We feel it better to let our friends recommend us.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

publicity stunt here. I'm encouraged by celebrity stories of real addicts who don't alert the press and lose everything or die

don't think reporters are above fabricating or exaggerating a substance problem in order to get ahead..
Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

No one told her to not to mention AA..... (did you read the comments?)
Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
No one told her to not to mention AA..... (did you read the comments?)
Just read them and I am glad to see that I am not the only "grinch" who thinks she broke tradition 11 LOL.
I wonder if she consulted with her sponsor before giving the interview. Any sponsor worth her salt would have given her a crash course on traditions.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess it's a double edged sword. On the one hand a celebrity can provide leadership for others to have courage to get help, but I understand it goes against the tenants of AA. I also know celebrities use negative publicity to give their careers a boost.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I applaud her for being so open and honest with her story, publicity or not. If you read the comments, there are quite a few complaining that alcoholism is called a disease, that it's a personal choice to drink or not to drink, that all of this is just a publicity stunt, etc.

It's creating a stir and in my opinion, that's what this society needs so that people become educated! If only my workplace was as understanding as hers is when returning to work.....bravo to her and to her employers. It's about time....
Old 01-24-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Inca, I have no problems with her going public but as a member of AA she should not break traditions and since she is a newcomer, it was up to her sponsor to explain it to her.
Instead of saying she went to AA, she could just have said she joined a support group.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I applaud her courage. Can't imagine how hard that would be to go on national television and admit that you are an alcoholic. It took me years to even admit it to myself. Then years later to admit it to my family and very close friends. Good for her and best of luck to her in her journey.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think she broke the tradition. I guess its up to how your interpret. I applaud her honesty. I don't believe its for personal gain for a minute either - but I guess its all how you interpret.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tradition, not law, not rule.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Agreed but if she relapses or makes an ass of herself, she could impact AA as a whole since she put herself in a position of being a poster child.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a brave person. Good for her.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I also know celebrities use negative publicity to give their careers a boost.
its not just celebrities.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't know Carlotta, of course you have a point. It could also be argued that attraction isn't working very well.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

wow Carlotta, I am not sure we watched the same interview. I don't see where she made herself a "poster child" for AA. A lot of celebrites have mentioned AA and how it has helped them, and if they did relapse I do not recall anyone jumping up and down putting blame on AA. I liked her honesty about the guilt and how much energy it takes to keep the addiction "hidden". I was glad to see it and found myself nodding my head and seeing a lot of what she did, I did also while drinking. Always good to know your not alone on this journey and that there is help out there.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Plenty of my idols have sobered up and are the reasons (along with my wife and son) I have been sober for two years. Ozzy Osbourne, Bill Ward (Black Sabbath drummer), Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue) - the stories of all them have inspired me through thick and thin. Especially Ozzy, who has used his recovery to write anti-drinking and pro-life songs.

Especially this video