Notices

Why?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why?

I've been working at the same place since 1991 with the SAME people. Why is it after all of these years TODAY they announce a happy hour with alcoholic beverages for this afternoon? Is it some sort of cosmic event designed to test me? Fortunately I refuse to ever drink and drive so I won't drink anyway but I think it is bizarre that I am finally getting sober and this happens. I know it has nothing to do with me but so odd!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take comfort that you won't be the only one driving, so won't be the only one not drinking
Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A formal happy hour? At the office? Someone didn't have their liability/litigation hat on when they thought of that one! LOL Well, maybe you can leave early while everyone else is standing around drinking. :-)
Stay strong.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
A formal happy hour? At the office? Someone didn't have their liability/litigation hat on when they thought of that one! LOL Well, maybe you can leave early while everyone else is standing around drinking. :-)
Stay strong.
I worked at this one bar in Henrico. Capital One would reward sales teams with a formal post work event. They had a limit of $4000 and these were big events (some people got wasted). This was not a once in a while thing, they did this about twice a week.

I often worked these events. It was pretty insane. I'd walk in the room and 20 people would mob me with orders. So I'd come back with 20 drinks, had to figure out who they went to. Some people would get angry that I didn't find them as if I'm suppose to remember everyone. But the second I got the 20 drinks out, 20 more orders. Thinking about it now it really never made sense how a large company would allow close to $8000 a week for their employees to get wasted.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

Maybe they had them all along, but kept you out of the loop because of the way you drank. Someone heard that you are sober now, so they don't have to be as discreet.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Oh, and this was a high end bar. Beer with abv's anywhere from 7 to 20%.

So I would tell people "I'm happy to recommend something", and often people just told me "I just want the beer with the most alcohol in it". I remember thinking to myself 'it's 4 in the afternoon and this guy is looking to get loaded'. When I cut people off the event organizers would get mad because they were there to ''have a good time".
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered People Pleaser

I could not go..I'd be too tempted to play games (like a kitten with a ball of yarn) with em and manipulate em into talking about each other while they were buzzed.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't 'do' happy hours. I have no business being there, SB.

D
Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

could it be possible that it was being announced all them years?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It IS possible but since there are so few of us I would be really surprised! Then again, who knows. But I am not going.