Notices

Crocheting myself through recovery.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crocheting myself through recovery.

WOW, I forgot how time flies when I am crocheting. I am so glad that I dug out my hooks and bought some new yarn. My mind and hands get lost in the movement and I love it!! Right now I am working on a throw blanket for a friend. Keeping busy and being useful!

Anyone other crocheters or knitters out there?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tie fishing flies, does that count? Actually I havent in several years, (moved and havent set my bench up yet) but getting the urge to start again. I imagine it is like crocheting, I get lost in the design and creation. Very relaxing.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know how to crochet and my knitting attempts include scarves.... But I don't know how to tie them off or start a new ball of yarn.. so, UNFINISHED scarves. LOL Where is a good place to start with crocheting??

As you know, I've been manicuring my nails rather obsessively as a new habit. Crocheting seems like something I could get into!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Crocheting for sure has helped me keep my hands and my mind busy. I also do counted cross stitch; I'm doing one now of the serenity prayer. I found that once I became sober I actually had enough of my wits about me again to do this type of thing
Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I knit A LOT. My daughter has banned me from yarn shopping when she is with me, I can't stop buying it!
Unfortunately I am very lazy about stitching the knitted parts together so I have dozens of projects completely knitted, but still in pieces.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seahorse661 View Post
I knit A LOT. My daughter has banned me from yarn shopping when she is with me, I can't stop buying it!
Unfortunately I am very lazy about stitching the knitted parts together so I have dozens of projects completely knitted, but still in pieces.
I can TOTALLY RELATE.. Oh well.

It's not about the destination.... It's about the journey!! LOL
Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes! I'm on my 5th day of sober living and haven't busted out my needles. Now I know what I'll do to occupy my time on a Friday night
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are any of you on ravelry.com?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reminder ! I can only make blanket throws or scarfs but it IS so fun and time flies. I'm going to get my stuff out today !
Old 01-24-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I use ravelry, but don't think I ever set up a profile or added projects
Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you want to start crocheting I highly suggest checking out some videos on Youtube. They were a tremendous help to me when I needed a re-fresher.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for that info, I will do that and let you know how I'm doing. I want to go get some new yarn today. Now I have a mission for the day, thanks to you ! Day 5 of not drinking and struggling, this helps so much.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have crocheted in the past. I haven't picked up my hooks for a long time but should. My last project was finishing off someone else's project. I was at an estate sale and found a huge box of completed granny squares in a black plastic bag, in a dark corner of the basement - I dug for treasure and found it! I bought it for a dollar and started piecing together a throw.

IT is relaxing.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i knit a ton, a am just picking up crochet. its funny, when i first quit drinking it was one of the things i picked up again. i have a seed stitch scarf on needles in my bag now! i knit while i commute, watch tv. i find its very calming. I'm teaching myself crochet so i can use up all the odds and ends of warn left over from knitting projects.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you anchorbird! I knit as you can see in my avatar, that was a blanket I knitted in the first few months of recovery for an Ethiopian charity, I called it my Recovery Blanket because I would knit at the times I used to drink. The craft has come right back to me now, I've made garments for newborns, scarves and I'm currently doing a thick cream blanket for a friend's 30th. I totally recommend the meditative and productive qualities of handwork in recovery!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, it reminds me I need to find a constructive, creative way to keep busy during the evening witching hours. Something other than the iPad, but having tried knitting in the past think I have knitting dyslexia! Sem to go forward then backwards some how. Always pulling the yarn out and starting over lol. Maybe it was the alcohol hmmmmm.