Notices

Holiday on Febuary 3rd- heavy drinking family.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday on Febuary 3rd- heavy drinking family.

So I'm going to Spain on the 3rd with my dad and brother, both of whom are 20 pints a night guys. Now, I don't intent to drink. I don't really think they would care too much whether I drank or not, but it would be impossible for them not to notice my sobriety, which will bring up some uncomfortable questions that I would rather not answer.

My dad is, let's say, not the most sensitive of people and doesn't take psychological issues seriously. My time living with him with depression/anxiety was hell on earth and I don't see him being much more understanding about my alcoholism.

So, does anybody have any ideas about how I can tackle this problem and enjoy my holiday? Other than this problem I'm quite looking forward to it.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well, I'm sure some will advise you not to lie. But in my case, if I felt that uncomfortable telling people, I would just say something like, 'I am off the drink because it hasn't been agreeing with me lately.' Which isn't really a lie, or something similar. Enjoy your hols. I have had many sober holidays and they were great. Hangovers in the sun are horrible. And it can be quite hot in Feb over there. xxxxx
Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd say be up front with them and worry about your own sobriety vs. what they think about it. If you feel it will be too much of a hassle this early into sobriety, not going is always an option too.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Knowing your father isn't the most sensitive person, I'd just tell them, as Kate suggested, that you're not drinking anymore as it didn't agree with you. You don't owe them any further explanation.