Notices

Bad anxiety after 12 days sober.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad anxiety after 12 days sober.

Is this normal? I didn't have anxiety this bad when I was drinking! I feel like screaming "Okay! I get the point! I won't drink again!" Like everyone else here, I didn't get sober because I hate the taste of beer or the buzz it gives me, I'm going sober because I cant handle the hangover anxiety anymore. Now that I'm 12 days sober, I swear I feel like I AM hungover. I guess this is my punishment for 20 years of binge drinking. Somebody please tell me the anxiety goes away eventually.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

other than not drinking, are you doing anything to help you?

mine went away after a period of time

i also used the 12 steps which helped me immensely

sobriety is action, in my opinion.

it gets better!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

10 days sober and I keep getting headaches and feel somewhat down i do miss that buz but will stay off it so your not alone Vincenz
Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm eating the best I ever have and I haven't cheated once. I haven't had any fried food or sweets since hangover day which was day one. Besides eating right I can't really think of anything else. It's sad that I could perform at work with hangover anxiety but know I feel like I'm going to lose my mind at work. I manage a dept of about 80 ppl with 4 other mngrs. I really just want to curl up in a ball and wait this out. I won't be doing that of course but that's how I feel
Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am with you bud thats how i feel but stay strong we can pull through this togeather lets be strong. I feel that I worked better when i was drinking but that cant be right, can it just the demons trying to pull me back .....
Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No no I'm not craving alcohol at all. I'm craving my sanity! I really only have/had panic and anxiety on hangover day, but now I have anxiety all the time; and I'm 12 days clean. I just don't get it. I have blocks of hours where I honestly feel great, particularly when i wale up, but as the day goes on my anxiety just gets worse. Is there anybody out there who's panic and anxiety went away after getting sober?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well when i stopped drinking i went to the Dr and he put me on Fluoxetine anti depressants they are helping me
Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The anxiety will go away with more sober time. But if it doesn't, then seeing your doctor might be a good idea.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by Vincenz View Post
I'm craving my sanity! I really only have/had panic and anxiety on hangover day, but now I have anxiety all the time; and I'm 12 days clean. I just don't get it. I have blocks of hours where I honestly feel great, particularly when i wale up, but as the day goes on my anxiety just gets worse.
It's in your body, hidden somewhere. Find out Peter A. Levine work and how he recommends dealing with psychosomatic issues. I have no idea how much you've been drinking etc., but 12 days is just the beginning.

Imagine an obese, out of shape person entering a gym an willing to have Brad Pitt's abs in 12 days. It does not happen like that.

The key, in my case, was to... hmm... how to describe it... to "remove" myself from the anxiety and the panic as they are happening to me, and "observe" them. Like stepping out of the cycle of my own habits, bodily curse, cellular memory that stores panic and anxiety, I let amygdala do whatever amygdala does to cue the panic in, and once the stress is released this way or another, it calms down. The panic / anxiety.

Originally Posted by Vincenz View Post
Is there anybody out there who's panic and anxiety went away after getting sober?
Here's one.

It takes work on oneself. Just think how much work you put into managing all these people at work, successfully I'd presume, so now you need to work on yourself a bit

Good luck!!