Notices

alcohol ads continued

Old 01-23-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol ads continued

It gives me power to badmouth the evil of drug pushers. Watching a hockey game and the endless stream of beer commercials, I wonder will marijuana ads be next in the states? How about cocaine? What other addictive substances can we bombard into people's homes? This is more of a venting on my part and not making any political commentary so please don't take it that way. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I had a hard time with the ads in the beginning, but it has gotten to the point where I don't really notice them anymore.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah, I don't really notice them that much now.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I completely agree Tang!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think they are evil. In fact a couple drinks a day is supposed to be healthy. There's a minority of us that react inappropriately towards it.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When most ads come on, the mute button can be used, especially those screaming ads.

It humors me actually to think of;
They spend $$$ to make these ads scream into our ears, then with the calm and precisely timed press of a remote control mute button gives a sense of "back at ya, nia nia" ,a smirk with sense of healing calm and power over the ads.
Such a rarity soon to be an idea gone viral.

It's a fact of life in my TV living room, one of those unwritten domestic rules that needs no mention, someone just does it, presses the mute button when the ads come on we don't want to know about.

The Remote Control's Mute Button deserves praise and recognition, it diserves it's own distinct color, irridescent blue that glows in the dark.
4 minutes of TV Ad silence is bliss, serene, peaceful, priceless.

Hail the TV's Remote Control Mute Button.

Always have spare batteries close by.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

what strikes me about the prevalence of ads... of imagery in movies.... of magazine ads... of booze in TV shows.... of the comments about alcohol in everyday society is how damn pervasive it is.

True... "there are health benefits of a couple of drinks...". But those same benefits can be gotten from juicing your own friuts and vegetables - without the toxic effects.

The bottom line has nothing to do with "health benefits" - it has to do with capitalizing on a basic human vulnerability; alcohol as a means to smooth over anxieties, to relax, to have 'fun', to celebrate, to console, to mark transition..... etc, etc, etc. Even in 'normal' drinkers; I now have to wonder... "why"?

Sometimes the adds annoy me a bit for the 'nostalgia' and sense of loss they can trigger.... but mostly they strike me as a somewhat dismal commentary on humanity.