Notices

...About panic and anxiety

Old 01-22-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

...About panic and anxiety

I was just wondering if anybody here was diagnosed with anxiety and panic, but after they quit drinking for "x" amount of time, it eventually went away? I'm 11 days sober and I'm having more anxiety now than I did when I was drinking. Don't get me wrong it's not as bad as hangover anxiety but it is still present. I'm not seeking medical advice, just wondering if anyone eventually beat panic attacks by not drinking? If you did beat it, was it just by quitiing? Counseling? Excersise? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My depression and anxiety both reduced to virually zero when I got sober.I had some bad moments in the early weeks -it almost got worse before it got better because I didn't have alcohol to hide it and was facing many demons.

By 3-6 months it had changed enormously and now I rarely get any anxiety or depression. I've also learnt better ways of dealing with problems as they arise so the never get to the point I'm anxious and dwelling on them too much. I've done a lot of reading about 'Now' and living in the moment too which has helped
Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI vincenz

I think most people experience some anxiety after they quit.

How long that might last really depends if you had a pre-existing anxiety condition (before drinking) or not. Some people find that quitting drinking solves the problem, others find the opposite.

D
Old 01-22-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. It just occurred to me to mention that I've been on klonopin for the last 4 years or so. Typically I would binge drink til I passed out 2-3 nights a week for 19 years. It just dawned on me that I may be having klonopin withdrawals as well, since I've been taking less since quitiing. After drinking I would pop 2 the next day (or 6 a week). It's been 11 full days and I would say that I have taken approx. 6 in 12 days. Does anyone here have experience with klonopin withdrawals?