Notices

the 5th day

Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the 5th day

well, today is the fifth day of my sobriety. I can't believe how far I have come in that amount of time. I was in such a dark place--just reading my first 2 posts here on SR is the scariest thing ever. I was in a very, very bad place.

As of today, I have a therapist who specializes in substance abuse and AA. I also have a psychiatrist - but that is not new for me - will just be getting one AGAIN. I am not just an alcoholic--I have a couple more issues to add to that.

Today I have spent considerable time thinking about AA and how foreign it feels for me. I have met people -wonderful, amazing people - that have built their lives around AA for 40 years. Every day is an event, a meeting, neighbors are friends from AA, etc etc. I have to remind myself that the program I can tailor the program to my life. Then I start thinking, well, I'm supposed to go to lot sof meetings- every day. Well, as much as I need help, every day of talking about not drinking seems overwhelming to me. I think I am feeling this way because I am so new and have not really "done" the program at this point. I have sat in rooms, met people and read. I don't think it is all coming together yet.

I just want to know if anyone felt this way in the very beginning?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I personally have been trying to go 2 - 4 times a week as needed. (i.e. I'm having a bad day and want to drink)
Old 01-23-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's 2 times a week for me.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

for me, it's not the meetings, it's working those steps

i make 1-2 meetings a week to keep plugged in

i don't try to think or not think about drinking, it's what my mind does.....so, why not make it worth my while and reach out to someone else who is suffering like I once was....that is why I get to a meeting today

yes, you can tailor it to fit you, and that is beautiful!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Five days sober is very early in recovery. Give yourself more sober time to balance out.