Notices

Newcomer alert

Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer alert

Hi all,

First time poster here, but I've lurked a fair bit and reading other's posts has got my over some tough times so I thought I'd try to give something back.

Realised I had a pretty serious problem with alcohol about 2 years ago (I'm 24). Actually started dealing with it this time last year. Longest I've been since is 10 days, given up for x days then relapsed many times since then, so many I've lost count.

Progressed (is that the right word?!) to daily 70cl-1ltr daily vodka in late 2012. Worked in bars for the last few years, which I think was a major enabling factor for me. To date, thank god, I've not been in trouble with the law. Have been fired, and pushed out of a few different jobs this last year however- all through drunkeness.

Basically, I feel ready to try again, but I almost feel like - after the pain of various detoxes, and a short visit last year to a mental ward in London (brought on by a serious binge) I almost feel like I'm waiting for another rock bottom. At the minute, I'm fairly secure - very supportive girlfriend, various job offers (tho not in bars!).

Does it always take a big kick in the teeth to stop? I've already cut down alot since my last real bender. Still drinking vodka, sometimes as soon as I wake up, always all day til bed but less. Take high strength B vits, all sorts of herbal anxiety supplements and *attempt* a decent diet. And I try to always think, when I'm drinking, of what it actually tastes like, and what I actually enjoy about it. Most of the time, it seems to boil down to simply satisfying my W/Ds...

Anyway, apologies for rabbiting on. Any input welcome! And thanks - again the posts on this site have kept me going more than once, hope I can contribute to someone else's sobriety eventually.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by JamesML View Post
Does it always take a big kick in the teeth to stop?
No.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

One of my big kicks was when I started drinking in the morning and had to avoid everybody day in and day out. xxxxx
Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesML View Post

Does it always take a big kick in the teeth to stop?
Hi. Not for everyone. But some are more determined than others and might need reminders where our drinking is carrying us. Like to an early grave, incarceration, life at a mental hospital or a continued miserable life we are leading. It's guaranteed that for an alcoholic who continues to drink it will never get better.

BE WELL
Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello,and welcome.
You're wise to realize you have a seious problem at such a young age.
And it does seem to be serious, that's a lot of booze to drink.
The thing I do, is remember my last bender and learn from and remember the misery it brought on.
I drank first thing in the morning, too. Makes for a pretty bad day, when the booze wears off anyway.

Have you tried a program of recovery like AA? It works for many. There are other methods.
Please don't wait and go through the horrors I did. It is progressive and things can get worse.
I feel for you. I've been in your shoes, so you're not alone.
Keep reading and posting. Lots of wise people here.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My big "kick in the teeth" was realizing that I had lost the respect of my kids and my self respect as well. I didn't wait for anything worse to happen as that was bad enough for me.

I hope the support you'll find here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

Some people have a big kick in the teeth and still managed to keep on drinking. I had some terrible things happen to me and still kept on. I feel stupid looking back on a lot of things. My health is what is propelling me forward this time. I have stomach issues that are hanging on and it scares me. I wish I would have had the internet and forums like this back when I was 24. I think you are smart being aware of yourself at a young age and questioning where this is leading. Take care
Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JamesML - welcome

no it doesn't take a big kick in the teeth to stop. I just did it that was cos I was dumb

Looking back now, I believe a bottom is a simple decision to change our lives - it doesn't need to be accompanied by a trainwreck, at all.

D
Old 01-22-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR James. You found a friendly & encouraging place. We're happy you're here & wanting a better life for yourself.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi James welcome to SR
Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

James. I was a daily drinker of the same amount of rum. It can be done
Old 01-22-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

glad that you've come to realization of your problem at a relatively young age. you still have many sober and wonderful years ahead of you. stop now. before it is too late.

you can completely turn your life around at any point, but the sooner... the better. best of luck to you.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Not everyone needs a kick in the teeth, though many run towards it, invite it.

What we will never know is the stories from the millions of people who are on the verge of dying from alcoholism but never make it.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am lucky that nothing really bad happened to me to make me quit. I just got to the point where I just couldn't go on with the drinking anymore. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I got to the point where I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to be drunk and I was willing to do anything to get it. I had to put as much effort into trying to stay sober as I did into trying to stay drunk. Not easy by any means and I am still a work in progress. But I have a sense of peace and contentment now that I never had when drinking that is for sure.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

The hardest thing to do is admit you have a problem and you are past that now. This community can and will support you through your transition and this is the place to come to squash your cravings and lean on someone (or a bunch of us).

You have probably heard this before but it bears hearing again...... you are a young man and have 90% of your life ahead of you. A life w/o alcohol will be INFINITELY better than the life of a lifelong drinker.

I know, I have been drinking since I was 16 and I am 56. All those years controlled by the beast were a waste of my youth, young adulthood and into (dare I say it.....) Middle age.

Do yourself a BIG favor and do your best to follow through with sobriety. It wont be easy but it is the most IMPORTANT battle you will ever fight.

Now is the time that you can eliminate the cycle of pain caused by alcoholism. Now you can stop hurting yourself and others around you. Now is the time to eliminate future regret and remorse.

Wish I could to travel back in time to my early 20s with the knowledge I have now.... I'm glad that you have the opportunity right in front of you.

Read the accounts of some of us and keep posting. We are here to help and many of us have lifetimes of experience with alcohol to share.

Best Wishes
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wish I could to travel back in time to my early 20s with the knowledge I have now.... I'm glad that you have the opportunity right in front of you.

Hopeforlife, I said this twice this week!!