Notices

Back on the wagon

Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back on the wagon

Hello,

This is my first time posting so please be kind. I managed to stop drinking before Christmas for 16 weeks and it was hard. Reading what people posted on here really helped, I thought it was only me!

If I'm honest I used Xmas as an excuse to drink again, I told hubby it would only be a few but again it's turned into 100+ units a week again.

I'm struggling again abit with so decided to bite the bullet sign up and post something. I struggle with self confidence, and getting what I want with life. Booze just helps me stop worrying about things..including berating myself for not getting off my backside and doing something better than just wanting to get tipsy. This is my first dry day again....so here goes.

Does anyone else do this to themselves?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, I used to do that to myself every day. I finally quit for good and can honestly say that my life is so much better now.

I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. my first attempt at sobriety was in 1986. Since then I've had about a year and a half that I was truly sober and working a program of recovery. So Im figuring I spent 30+ years of my life drinking and drugging. I only have since last thursday night when I was loaded. I'm grateful to just have a few days now.

Theres a lot of help here. People have some good suggestions. I want to stop this time. I guess. If I didn't I would be loaded right now but I am not. I did just go through a very tough craving about 1/2 hour ago and that rough. So unpleasant of a feeling but I got through it.

Anyway. Take care and good luck. keep hanging around SR
Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think we can all relate to what you are going through 100%.

Welcome, congratulations on acknowledging what you face and being willing to take steps to do something about it.

You can be free of this cycle.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel like I could have wrote that !! I'm just starting again myself ! I wish you the best !!! I feel your pain ... All to familiar. The people on this site are very kind and helpful
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, did it for years. Best of luck to you and keep posting x
Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is so hard when I get out of work it is an hour and a half before an actual AA meeting in person , so I'm really looking forward to referring here for direction and encouragement, I really want this to work. I hate this monster that is in my head!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Newme76 & march hazel

Welcome back guys and please let's start by giving you guys some credit for taking the time to think - "I have a problem & I want to do something about it"!! You did very well, you held that thought for more then 5-10 minutes while you were logging in and posting a thread! Sooooo, the will and the desire is with you - great start! March Hazel- awesome job with working through the craving, I know it's not easy but like they say; "This to Shall Pass", don't you fell better know that it did?!?!!? When we don't act on our thoughts and compulsions we exercise our decision to fight the disease and refrain from active addiction. Any time you are not high and wanting to remain sober YOUR IN RECOVERY, so give yourself a break and be happy you broke the cycle even just for today!!!! CONGRATS!!!

Best advice:

1. Get out of yourselves and try to do something different besides the same old same old, aka find a meeting - they help and ask for help, people truly care!!!

2. Eat and drink something healthy, take a vitamin, get a shower, start the routine of taking care of yourself and you'll be amazed at what other things will follow. Ex: cleaning house, clean laundry, maybe even pay a bill!

3. Acknowledge to yourself that you truly do know right from wrong and make this day one of your better ones.

*All this can be done in moderation and you have 12 hours left to do it!!! I look forward to hearing your progress and wish you the both the best of luck! I will pray for you, take care

J
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, & Tete, I think you and I have the monster in our heads!

Work tonight so easy'ish' to not drink today but wait till Tommo, that will be another story.....

X
Old 01-22-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 and things are already improving (physically and mentally).

Take it easy on yourself.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Newme 76, WELCOME!

You've proved to yourself you can quit.

Now try to make it stick!

We're all here doing the same.

Welcome to all the newbies. I'm new this month, too.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Kris47,

I'm hoping to be strong tomorrow again, and will be checking in again Tommo. Yours an everyone's support is amazing!

I'm a bit panicky though as I know I"ll probably want a drink Tommo, I'm a bit like a petulant child and stamp my feet a bit, and tell myself I can have one if I want one!! I guess this is another excuse though!

X