Notices

Five Months Today!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

Five Months Today!

The way to stay sober for me is: I attended 'Back to Basics' session at my local recovery center. It is doing the 12 steps they way they were done 'back in the day' of Bill W. and Dr. Bob; back when the recovery rate was extremely high (not sure of the exact statistics) compared to how it is now.

I attend at least 3 meetings a week. I come here and read on SR almost every day. I pray to a higher power of my understanding. I have a friend in AA I talk to on a daily basis.

My life now is pretty happy. No more legal troubles. A stable income and place to live. A car that doesn't need repair or towing daily. I have my own little home business, I don't make hardly any money at it, but it's fun and keeps me busy.

And I still have my hubby which is a miracle! Even though I make him go like this a lot, but not as much as before when I was :
Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YAY Well done!!

PS I'm curious as to how the steps were different back then?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Sounds where I need to be; no legal issues, get a job,car n home. But I'm happy w/ my sobriety today n look to improve everyday
Your post has greatly encouraged me tonite!! Thanks a lot
Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 5 months seahorse

D
Old 01-21-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Five months is huge! AA helped me get started and I owe them a debt too. But ultimately it was SR that kept me going for good.

Seahorse,
Is the difference that they pushed recovery as the goal rather than preach that there is no recovery?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

xxx
Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five months sober!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 5 months!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations seahorse!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is great!!! Very inspiring to me too!!!!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 months Seahorse!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!! I love posts like these. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on five months!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Congrats on your significant achievement
Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

congrats! can't wait to get there myself. Can you explain a bit about "Back to Basics" versus the normal step meetings, 12n12, etc? Very curious.

Dan
Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your congratulations! I really appreciate it!!!

I just wanted to answer the questions a couple of you had, and remember, I only share MY experience, what works for ME. Everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another.

I am also very familiar with what I have done wrong in the past 25 years of off and on sobriety ranging from 1 month to 4 years. Believe me, I have tried EVERYthing to be able to enjoy and control my drinking. I had to admit complete defeat - Step one - before I could go on. It took me a LONG time, the denial was so strong.

"Can you explain a bit about "Back to Basics" versus the normal step meetings, 12n12, etc? Very curious." DantheHunter, I don't want to act like some big know-it-all authority which I'm not so I'll just tell ya briefly what I've found. In our area step meetings can take up to a year or more to do the steps , most people end up getting drunk before that happens. Back to Basics takes newcomers through the steps in 4 one hour sessions, exactly like the beginners meeting were done way back in the day when there was a huge recovery rate as compared to today.

Anywho, Ichy asked "Seahorse,
Is the difference that they pushed recovery as the goal rather than preach that there is no recovery?"
The big book can be kind of ambiguous regarding this. It says that we are a bunch of people that have recovered from this malady by doing this stuff....I'm heavily paraphrasing here as I am too comfy right now to get my lazy arse up to grab my big book, but I can later if ya want. But in another part is says there's no cure but we have a daily reprieve contigent on the maintenance of our spirituality, or something like that. In my humble opinion, I feel I can be recovered from the active part of the disease (stinking thinking and drinking) similar to cancer being in remission -but I will never recover from the difference in my body that makes me an alcoholic. But in AA I have learned to live in the solution rather than in the problem and to seek the solution that keeps me in recovery (of the symptoms) from alcoholism. I hope that makes sense!

Some people use the 12 and 12 to do the steps. I just use it as an enhancement to understand the steps better.

Disclaimer: All these statements are my experience and opinion only!!!!! There are no direct quotes from any AA approved material, just my interpretation of it!!

Hope that helps! Just don't give up! I've been in and out of AA since 1987, it wasn't until I went to the Back to Basic one month program that I lost my desire to drink which I thought would never ever happen in a million years!!!!!!!