Notices

Closing out day one and also needing drink advice

Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Closing out day one and also needing drink advice

Hey everyone,

Closing out day one and there is success. There were cravings but once I got dinner in me that was cut in half. So getting ready to put on a movie and wait for bed time.

Since we all seem to be orally fixated, I figured I'd ask about drink ideas to replace the beer I would always be drinking. Need to be able to drink it in the evening so prefer to avoid caffeine. I have tea, but that is only barely cutting it - I like strong drinks and strong tea is usually caffeinated. Like drinks that I know I am drinking with a potent taste. Want to try to avoid soda and I don't really consume much dairy at all. I don't know what leaves left except for oj

Anyway... day one down... sure I'll be happy about it tomorrow morning.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you ever had real cranberry juice? THAT stuff is strong! Even that Pom juice seems strong to me.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, I got really into Green/White teas, but if that doesn't do it, Cranberry juice and soda is amazing!!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I buy flavored seltzer and put a splash of fruit juice in it, (my preference is cherry, grape or cranberry, or a blend of them).
It's great.
Only problem is I belch like a seal and my lady wants to start throwing me fish.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How about some herbal teas? Some of those have pretty strong taste. Just be careful and read up on what you choose or better yet, consult a pharmacist for ingredients and safe quantities.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I replaced the beer with diet coke. May not be a healthy choice, but the alternative was much worse. I drink a 2 litre bottle most days and it does keep the booze and cigarette cravings at bay for some reason.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WATER! (blech, I know). I love coconut water now but when I first quit beer I went on a Pepsi binge for a couple months.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I substituted orange juice for my wine and it works great. I just happen to love oj so it works out well for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Garen View Post
Hey everyone,

Closing out day one and there is success. There were cravings but once I got dinner in me that was cut in half. So getting ready to put on a movie and wait for bed time.

Since we all seem to be orally fixated, I figured I'd ask about drink ideas to replace the beer I would always be drinking. Need to be able to drink it in the evening so prefer to avoid caffeine. I have tea, but that is only barely cutting it - I like strong drinks and strong tea is usually caffeinated. Like drinks that I know I am drinking with a potent taste. Want to try to avoid soda and I don't really consume much dairy at all. I don't know what leaves left except for oj

Anyway... day one down... sure I'll be happy about it tomorrow morning.
I drink a lot of ginger ale and cranberry on ice
Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Milk. Sometimes chocolate milk. Don't judge.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to GO Garen!

Try some herbal Rooiboo tea. It tastes strong like coffee. Stronger tasting than some of the other teas.

Cranberry juice no sugar added will definitely wake you up. lol.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I recently bought some sour cherry syrup and mineral water to mix together. It was good. I also like v8 with lemon, Worcestershire and a splash of dill pickle juice.

There are a couple of older threads on this topic that have a bunch of suggestions. I posted one of them. You might want to check those out if you can find them.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

drink water or carbonated water, add ice and lemon or lime
Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I will have to write some of those down the next time I make a trip to the store. The sugar and carbs in drinks seems to help cut the cravings down.

Starting day two getting ready for work. Here goes nothing
Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good Luck, Garen!

Have a great day!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Make it a good one!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Before 5 p.m., coffee and black tea.

After 5 p.m. I like carbonated water: Perrier or even Club Soda. Also tart herbal teas, like natural cranberry herbal teas or something.

Chamomile before bed.

As far as sodas go, ginger ale is not that bad for you and tasty.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Meow

Loose leaf tea - you can brew it as strong as you like. No shortage of decaf varieties, either. Not just herbals - black, green, flavored, plus the rooibos and honey bush.

You can get it on line or look to see if there's any local places to buy from. I've found two near me.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Egg Creams.

Don't knock it till you've tried one ...
Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know you've said you have tea but the tea I drink is different, it's called Celestial Seasonings, the flavor is called Tension Tamer, it's a herbal tea (caffeine free) very cheap too, here in Minnesota it's 3.50 for 20 tea bags. Very tasty, here's what it says, "This comforting blend begins with eleuthero, an Asian herb popular for centuries because of the sense of calm and well being it imparts. We've added cooling peppermint, spicy ginger and tangy lemons to create a remarkably uplifting herbal blend. Bring harmony to your hectic day with a cup of this flavorful and restorative tea. It's worked wonder for me and it really helps the tension in my upper back and neck, it also is full of vitamins B6 and B12, which are important for us who are recovering from an alcohol problem. It's just the perfect tea and I can't get enough of it.