Notices

Does anyone have a Blueprint for recover?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Does anyone have a Blueprint for recover?

Please read before making any 'there is no blueprint, everyone is different'. I use the term blueprint for lack of a better term.

I'm sure this has probably been done, I just couldn't find one. I was hoping for a total blueprint. Something I could follow and that I could do to feel accomplished and keep myself occupied. I was hoping for something that could have a checklist of things to do each day, or even the time I'm supposed to wake up, go to bed and even go for a walk for x minutes each day.

Basically a reprogramming. Some stability. A lot of structure. Some minute by minute accountability. A blueprint for those of us who aren't motivated enough yet to create our own. Something I could use for x weeks and then I could start to modify it. Does anyone have anything like this(a list, spreadsheet, etc)?

I don't want just vague recommendations on how I should occupy my time, that doesn't work. I want to be treated like a child and given a list of 'errands' for lack of a better term.

Thanks guys. I'm still working, still fighting. It's one step forward and one step back now, instead of two steps back.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

- wake up before 7am
- go to bed (fall asleep) before 11pm
- some sort of physical activity (at least 30 minutes) per day
- eat healthy, natural food
- stay away from social situations that can trigger a drink
- do not drink today

sorry that's the best i can do now
Old 01-21-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

That blueprint is part of the work we must do for self.

Have you considered AA?

or any other method for staying stopped? Rational Recovery, SMART, AVRT, SOS, Life Ring, Women for Sobriety.....
Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a great idea, eastboundndown.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like what Serious has written out. If you haven't been around the recovery world before there is a suggestion that you avoid feeling H.A.L.T. Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. These four things have been or are triggers for a lot of people. Serious' suggestions go to that.

When I was newly sober I got up early to attend 6 a.m. AA meetings, every day. I ate regularly and smaller meals - dividing it up into more than three meals a day to make sure I never got hungry. I tried to get to bed so that I would get 8 hours of sleep. I participated in fellowship at AA and reached out to friends and family to avoid being lonely.

Get a daily calendar and schedule yourself for each hour of the day. Wake up at XXX. Eat breakfast at XXX. Exercise at XXX. Regiment yourself. I was working so I had a set schedule to follow with pretty specific meal breaks. Plan things in advance. Especially for weekends to make sure you don't have a lot of time on your hands with nothing to do. Weekends were hard for me because it was "free time" and I was more likely to get in trouble. I know you are looking for something more concrete than that but the above is what worked for me. I wrote my plan. Following someone else's plan, without knowing you, may not sit right. You can do it. I was the queen of "play it by ear" but that got me into a lot of trouble because I was never accountable. I made myself accountable.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd absolutely recommend joining AA and getting a sponsor if you are looking for structure. The 12 steps are very clear and a good sponsor will help you work through them on your own. I personally choose a more self-directed method, but if you are looking for structure and a proven program that works you can't really go wrong with AA to get started at least.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by eastboundndown View Post
Basically a reprogramming. Some stability. A lot of structure. Some minute by minute accountability. A blueprint for those of us who aren't motivated enough yet to create our own. Something I could use for x weeks and then I could start to modify it. Does anyone have anything like this(a list, spreadsheet, etc)?
I suggest inpatient rehab. It will give you the structure you need, the tools to deal with addiction and relapse prevention.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

some really good suggestions here - and they fall into my blueprint as well.

1. do not drink or drug.

2. make all the necessary changes in your life to support this commitment

3. find all the support you need to make points 1 and 2 happen.

4. do not forget point 1.

D
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found an excellent blueprint in the program of alcoholics anonymous.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey EB&D -

I've found it helpful to fill my planner with tasks daily…
Some simple as writing down my meeting locations…
Or work 9-5, just to write it down.

When I write, I remember (How I've always had to learn…) I'll write down intake of water (Per cup/bottle) and this writing basic things, help me get to what I NEED to be writing down… Like important dates (Bill payments… Doctor Appointments etc.) and general feelings - Good, bad, ugly.

If I write it down, I remember it. Hopefully this can give you some ideas…
Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi eastbound! I really appreciate you asking this question. I could benefit from a schedule too. I'm going to google around a bit and look into it. Sometimes it's nice to just have a piece of paper telling you what time to do what etc. It can be hard to create it yourself though- so I totally understand why you're inquiring about it!

I have an app called OneNote. It's really user friendly and has helped me to stay on task in the past. You may want to check it out.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The idea of a bleu print is interesting.

I think you need to write your own bleu print, customized for your needs and your lifestyle.

Sobriety is like finding enlightenment, everyone must find their own path.

Good luck friend and be kind to yourself
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just found another app that looks pretty good, but it's only for apple. It's called "Daily Routine"
Here's a link;
Daily Routine - time management app for iPhone & iPad

I just installed it, and you can start it out with an example schedule, and edit from there. It's unique in that it's an hour by hour planner rather than a daily reminder, or calendar type app. The example routine is pretty good and might be similar to what you're looking for as a "blueprint".

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the topic! I just did my grease board calendar for the month and since finding this app, am now making a daily schedule to follow. I think it's going to be really helpful for me- so TY for raising the subject.
:-)
Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The problem that I have with writing my own is the severe depression that I have. Even my sponsor told me that the depression is the larger issue that needs to be addressed. I've tried meds and although I don't feel AS terrible. I still think to myself all day long "I think I'll watch x movie" and then I sit there and try to watch it but end up daydreaming or looking for a reason to turn it off and do something else. I just don't have the interest in it. I'm going to try to write my own and thanks for the app, I'll download it and check it out.

When I wake up earlier, I feel better, even if I didn't really get a good nights sleep...But I wake up around ten every morning and I just dread the next 16 hours so much that I end up laying in bed or going back to sleep as long as possible. So I know I need to wake up earlier and go to bed at the same time, but every day is the same and I dread waking up and starting my 'day' every single morning.

I haven't looked forward to anything in so long I can't remember. I had a date Saturday and had a really great time, but when I woke up and for the next couple of hours I kept thinking about cancelling it-even though I didn't want to! What's wrong with me?
Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Speaking with your sponsor is all very well, but have you seen a doctor about the depression at all?

D
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would go to the doctor about the depression. I had horrible depression at one time. Felt like I was walking around with a fog filled bubble around my head. People would talk to me and it would barely register that I was being addressed. Meds helped me a lot.

Second, even if you found the perfect blueprint it would only work if you could follow it. If you have such limited energy or inclination that you can't write a plan would you be able to do the work entailed in an already existing plan? I am not saying this to be mean and I know the pain of depression. It is very debilitating. I've found that I have to force myself sometimes to do something that seems overwhelming despite the pain. You can do it. You may not want to but baby steps. Can you try to train yourself to start getting up earlier? Set your alarm for five or ten minutes earlier each day until you get to the time that you want to wake up. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Cliche but this too shall pass.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by eastboundndown View Post
I want to be treated like a child and given a list of 'errands' for lack of a better term.
When I finally got serious about quitting for good I went to see a drug and alcohol counsellor and was very upfront about my drinking and basically everything. I needed someone to sit me down and explain to me how to stay sober. I had no clue how to do it, I had no real understanding of how AA worked and basically just found it confusing, I didn't know how to stay stopped.

I am so thankful I went to this person as he opened up so many doors for me. He send me to a daytox program which was a 4-6 weeks program. Place was open 365 days of the year and I actually had a place I could go to during the day and actually learn things. I was able to learn about all the different programs out there, I was able to get new coping skills, they even had acupuncture that helped with withdrawal. They also had yoga all kinds of self help classes. Things I could actually DO that I had never even really tried before. Or told myself they were bunk, but knew deep down I had to do these things in order to move forward.

For me, I really had to open my mind and be willing to at least try different things as I was such a close minded person and I had really boxed my thinking in. Sometimes it means going out of your comfort zone, however, you don't know until you try.

But I hear you, I needed some kind of direction and plan as I really had no clue what to do when I quit drinking. To just not drink is one thing to stay sober and move on is another thing and I think the majority of us do need help with this.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Sounds like you are looking for the sort of structure found in rehab. If that's not a feasible option, I'd suggest sitting down with a therapist and/or your sponsor and having them help you create just that sort of a schedule.

They know more about you, your responsibilities and challenges than we can and can help you create a healthy and reasonable schedule. I don't think it is a one size fits all thing. It would also be good to have them to talk to about following the schedule, get feedback etc.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Step 1: Wake Up
Step 2: Wash Face
Step 3: Brush teeth
Step 4: Get dressed
Step 5: Drink some coffee or tea
Step 6: Take medication (if applies)
Step 7: Eat a bowl of cereal.
Step 8 Go to work.
Step 9: Come home from work
Step 10: Eat Tea/Dinner
Step 11: Spend time with Wife/kids (If apply)
Step 12: Go to the gym
Step 13: Have a shower/bath
Step 14: Drink Chinese Jasmine Tea
Step 15: Post on SR
Step 16: Watch some news while drinking more tea
Step 17: Spend time with Wife
Step 18: Brush Teeth
Step 19: Watch TV in bed
Step 20: Fall asleep

(Repeat 18250 times)

Damn I forgot to drink, well thats the idea. (I am 38 years old), so repeat as necessary until 88 years old. (My new estimated age of mortality) 50 years.
I dont believe in retiring in poverty in case you were wondering.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think its very smart of you to have a detailed list. Lots of great ideas. I wrote in my calendar (which has a page for each day broken into hours) used it as a daily journal of what I did. Its only been a short time but when I look back and see how daunting the most simple tasks were its quite rewarding. Mine was very much like those above in addition to writing out my meals. My cravings for sweets was crazy and to keep from developing another bad habit I stuck to (for the most part) what was on my list. I wrote out what I could have when cravings hit (so I wouldnt sit and eat a box of oreos) and I did stick with those things.

I don't know what your beliefs are but I always started with my God time/Me time/meditation whatever gets you in the right mindset for the day.

That is what worked for me, you have lots of great ideas.

Great Posts!