Notices

Would it be inappropriate?

Old 01-21-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
How would an employer find the picture if you posted it under a different name? I'm just curious/ignorant about these things.
I don't think it would be protocol in HR to search SR to make sure to screen candidates. But let's say for argument's sake I work at a large firm and am in comp with someone else for a position, and I also have a drinking problem and end up here lurking….and someone has posted a picture.

I've shared a lot here, I've been to rehab, I've talked about blackouts, hiding alcohol, having my handyman go pick up benzo scripts……I believe that most of us here are supportive and understanding, but do I want that out there attached to my picture? No. Maybe I am a bit paranoid after living in NYC for so long (the biggest small town on earth)…..that old six degrees of separation is more like 2, and the older you get the smaller you realize the world is.

But my perspective is attached to my history, and maybe I carry extra baggage around because I have seen peers get sideswiped because of the fact that someone took advantage of private information. If you look at the recent hacking of retail stores, I just believe it pays to be aware that what you put out there can't be retracted, screen shots are forever.

Sorry, hate to be a downer…..
Old 01-21-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I found my dentist on fb a few months ago - I soon changed dentist!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think it's a good idea because pictures often times speak louder than words.
You can adjust settings in you album or delete them if you change your mind.
The black bar or a "blur" on your eyes is a good idea.
We never know if others are well intentioned.

With that outta the way I was looking through my medical chart a few days ago and saw that for several years under "Alcohol consumption" it said "approx 2 cases a week. I have a lot of YT videos from those years and beyond - without a doubt, the difference between those years and now is HUGE. My face in is gross - underneath the facade. I remember throwing on heaps of makeup to cover the red/blotchy stuff, contour cream to make it look like I hadn't gained 20lbs (nope, just bloat) and this from a person who does wear makeup!....it's a good reminder to myself where I've been and what it did to me. Inside and out.

Vanity often speaks louder than all the suggestions in the world to certain people.
Cheers!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The clincher for me is when my hair started coming out in brushloads. Thankfully that stopped when I did but apparently, it's very common.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

With tineye.com and google reverse image search, it's getting more and more possible to find people through a pictures alone. I wouldn't risk it. In five years, who knows where technology would be?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I don't think it would be protocol in HR to search SR to make sure to screen candidates. But let's say for argument's sake I work at a large firm and am in comp with someone else for a position, and I also have a drinking problem and end up here lurking….and someone has posted a picture.

I've shared a lot here, I've been to rehab, I've talked about blackouts, hiding alcohol, having my handyman go pick up benzo scripts……I believe that most of us here are supportive and understanding, but do I want that out there attached to my picture? No. Maybe I am a bit paranoid after living in NYC for so long (the biggest small town on earth)…..that old six degrees of separation is more like 2, and the older you get the smaller you realize the world is.

But my perspective is attached to my history, and maybe I carry extra baggage around because I have seen peers get sideswiped because of the fact that someone took advantage of private information. If you look at the recent hacking of retail stores, I just believe it pays to be aware that what you put out there can't be retracted, screen shots are forever.

Sorry, hate to be a downer…..
Perhaps it's just the line of work I've been in that it's never been a problem. Addiction is so common amongst writers that it's considered a foible, if worth thinking about at all. When doing construction the background check is minimal if non-existent: "can you lift this thing?" "Yes" "Alright, job starts Monday, don't be late".

Then again, since I'm going into swimming teaching I should probably be more careful with these things in the future.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ok, I won't do it, but it's too bad Sometimes visual props are excellent therapy. Some of the younger people would be absolutely floored to see my pictures and what lies ahead of them Some people probably wouldn't even believe it was the same person!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'd be interested in seeing it. Need all the "inspiration" I can get!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jayelle113 View Post
Ok, I won't do it, but it's too bad Sometimes visual props are excellent therapy. Some of the younger people would be absolutely floored to see my pictures and what lies ahead of them Some people probably wouldn't even believe it was the same person!!
OK, now I feel like an old geezer…..you are "younger people"!, at least to me. Get out of the way, Grandma Jaynie coming through…...
Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh boy, maybe that didn't come out right!! In reference to "younger people", I had "early 20's" on my mind which seems really young to me lol!!! The booze has aged me so much, I feel much older than 38
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm with Janie in that I would be extremely careful! It is definitely possible to do a google image search and find things like on this forum. And coming from someone with an HR background, I know that many employers do look up potential candidates on social media. While I can't say I've ever used an image search on an potential employee, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a common occurrence one day.

Despite all of that, I really do want to see the pictures .
Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can tell you, as an Administrator here, I hear from people who have been 'found' on these boards, on a weekly basis. I do not recommend posting your personal photos or giving out any other personal information. We work very hard to ensure privacy and anonymity here.

Have you read our Sticky?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...predators.html
Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yeah, I said I WASN'T going to do it now
Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anna is right - there's not a week goes by when people don't contact us regretting posting something.
Just to clarify tho - profiles are not searchable by search engines or by non SR members.

I think it's a kind gesture jayelle, but to be honest I saw lots of pics like that while I was drinking - or the meth addict ones - and I thought - I'll never end up like that....cheers!....

By the time I did end up like that... I didn't care.

D
Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I think you look fine now Dee, even though your nose is a little reddish still
Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberhawk View Post
I think you look fine now Dee, even though your nose is a little reddish still
Lol soberhawk :-)
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

They actually have an app called "The Drinking Mirror" where you can upload a photo of yourself and then input how much you drink and it will show you what you may look like over time.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

How brave of you!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I've seen others post before and after pictures in the threads. I don't see why you can't. That's sweet that you want to help others. I don't think anything bad came from them doing so, but I'm not a moderator.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might want to read the whole thread 'ween - some good points were made

but seeing as Jayelle has decided not to post pics, I think we'll leave it there.

thanks all

D