Notices

anxiety after quitting

Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anxiety after quitting

Hello SR:

Today is day two (slipped up Saturday) and I have anxiety. I felt it prior to my slip up. I am really nervous / on edge / anxious and have actually had bouts with a little shortness of breath.

Anyone deal with this? Is this common?

I just feel (for lack of a better term) weirded out and not myself. I cant seem to focus on anything for too long
Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Hello SR:

Today is day two (slipped up Saturday) and I have anxiety. I felt it prior to my slip up. I am really nervous / on edge / anxious and have actually had bouts with a little shortness of breath.

Anyone deal with this? Is this common?

I just feel (for lack of a better term) weirded out and not myself. I cant seem to focus on anything for too long

I'm on day 1 and I feel the same way :/ I haven't been able to concentrate at work all day and just feel like giving in!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't give in Change. It has to get easier. I know I am not alone by your post. As well you know your not alone either. In a way we are in this together for the same conclusion...real happiness.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Don't give in Change. It has to get easier. I know I am not alone by your post. As well you know your not alone either. In a way we are in this together for the same conclusion...real happiness.
Yup! That's why I came on here to post instead of giving in like I want to! What are u trying to recover from?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

booze. mainly beer, 20 years non stop
Old 01-20-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got that too, it's very common. It will pass. Try walking. If walking for a few hours doesn't help, try breathing exercises. If that doesn't help, maybe see your doc about some medication for the anxiety? I know it really helps me to stay sober. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Walking helps me i'm on day 1 i slipped up yesterday don't give in
Old 01-20-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Avoid ALL caffeine as well. It will intensify your anxiety. I'm on day 8 and my anxiety is almost gone. I have other issues, but the my anxiety is under control now.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Charlie, yes anxiety is one of the most common hangover / withdrawal symptoms and also underlying causes of self-medicating with alcohol. You will find tons of posts and info on this here and also plenty of support regarding this. I also experienced extreme states or anxiety and even paranoia with hangovers. They will significantly lessen with extended sobriety. Eating well (if you can) and distracting yourself with tasks and activities may help, I also like to take long walks and in general exercise is supposed to help.

Maybe go and see a doctor is you feel it's unmanageable!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

definitely can relate.... day 23....

it's gotten better and less frequent but still happens a bit.

Activity seemed to help me... cleaning the house... going for a walk... hitting the gym... treadmill.... doing the dishes....

Also - depending on how heavily you've been drinking and what your body is accustomed to - it can also be about the sudden lack of sugar / calories from stopping drinking.

A handful of jellybeans or some simple syrup in fruit juice can be helpful. Try not to overdo it and make sweets your next surrogate addiction, but it really can make a difference when your body is tanking from its accustomed sugar levels.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me something sweet always helps - and staying physically active. It will get better - I know people always say that, but you have to start somewhere. Giving in will only put you back here again, and it will get worse each time. Hang in there.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very common for most of us in the first few weeks.
If you feel concerned, or you feel it's going on to long, do see your Dr.

D