Notices

New to the site :)

Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site :)

Hi everyone, I just wanted to post on here because I have some question is like to maybe get an answer to. First off I'm 21 (I know not that old what could I worry about) I've smoked/chewed tobacco sense I was 14 and I started drinking around 16 or so.. Not that long I know.

Now it hit me last weekend actually when I got really drunk at a friends house and don't remember what happen most the night, the walk home, what happen when I got home. Now this happens a lot, I don't have much self control when I drink... Is that something I will gain if I continue to drink? Or is it something that some people have and others don't?

I don't mind the idea of not drinking it wouldn't bother me to stop, I pretty much only drink when I go places with friends I don't drink during the week or if I'm just sitting at home, I know it's bad I'm into health and fitness stuff, love working out and the stuff I do when I drink hurts people, mainly my fiancée. That being said you could see why I want to stop.

In comes the tobacco use i don't really 100% want to stop using right now. And I feel like quitting drinking and smoking/chewing at the same time would stress me out considering everyone I work with smokes or chews and my fiancée does so I'm pretty much around it all the time.

Should I just wait to work on that for right now? Or what should I do on that note?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My opinion is that some people have little or poor self control with alcohol. The underlying reason for this is hotly debated. I'd say if you are drinking enough where you don't remember, that is not good. My 2cents.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

to SR
How about stopping for a month? If it's difficult for you, then you'll have a good idea of how you stand with alcohol
Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. It's great that at your age alcohol consumption is of concern. I've been in AA for +30 years and seen many M/F come in that are in their mid teens. If you read posts on this site you'll see the pain people go through trying to stop as this alcoholic condition is progressive. Sometimes slow and sometimes very fast. unfortunately with todays marketing and peer pressure it may be difficult until we make some healthy changes in our routines which includes not having the first drink.

BE WELL
Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've gone a couple months without drinking several times the last time I went over a month was last Halloween to New Years so nov 1 2013 to December 31 2013. But on Halloween I got really drunk as well, New Years I didn't do anything cause I didn't want too. Like I said if I go hang with friends and drink cause it's all they want to do on the weekends then it happens
Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you find it difficult to stop/slow down, once you start drinking?
With me, I would have weeks off, but then it was like my body wanted to make up for what it had missed.
SR is an excellent place to decide what you want to do
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank like you in my teens and throughout my twenties - it was mostly social but I'd get loaded. It didn't become a daily thing until i was well into my thirties. I found myself crossing that line from alcohol abuse into alcohol dependence at some point. I also quit smoking more than once and currently tobacco free for the past two years. I would have quit both at 21 if I could go back in time.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ya that's basically it like as soon as I start drinking I just know I want more. I've even went into drinking with the thought in my head to not get hammered but poof I wake up the next morning with no idea
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, I can totally relate to that. Something has made you worry enough to find and join this forum too hasn't it Xx
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I want to quit smoking but idk about right now or doing it at the same time. I feel like it would just be more stressful I quit for like 2 weeks once , but when a friend texted during that period and wanted to drink I would get on this weird mood were that's all I wanted to do no matter how hard I told my self I didn't want too. And when I smoke i can avoid it most the time
Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My personal opinion is that quitting both at the same time, is a LOT to expect of yourself - I wouldn't have been able to do it
Old 01-20-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would just focus on stopping drinking right now, worry about the smoking later on.

Welcome to SR!