Notices

Doing this for my family

Old 01-19-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing this for my family

Around three weeks ago, I came to the realization that my drinking was going nowhere. I had gradually worked my way up to a 12pk of Beer a night within 2 years. I'm a 28yo male, and I want to be around for my daughter and the one on the way for a long time to come.

What initially got me started was a Dr. Google scare about cirrhosis, as well as seeing my Dad suffer from alcohol induced pancreatitis. Being the hypochondriac that I am, I began feeling what I thought were liver pains, and ultimately ended up at the doctor. For the first time in my life, I was completely honest with the doc, and am now getting the help I've been needing for years.

I've always been a functional alcoholic, which has made it that much harder to stop. I've been in denial for years.

After trying tapering off (which didn't work) my doctor prescribed me a short dose of ativan, and have been Sober for a total of 5 days now. Tonight is my first without the drugs, and so far so good. My withdrawals haven't been horrible (thank God), and I'm confident I can do this. I have felt better the last two days than I can even remember.

I go in for LFT's next week. Hope I haven't messed myself up too bad, but with no symptoms other than a random pain that comes and goes, I feel in good health.

I also suffer from severe anxiety, which has also seemed to improve since knocking off the booze.

I've attended 2 AA meetings since starting all this, and I just don't feel it is for me. Hoping I can find some support on this forum to get through this.

Thanks for listening, it feels great to get my story out there
Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome 2 daughters - great to have you join us

D
Old 01-19-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there Well done on 5 days and congrats also on the new baby
You should be through the worst of the withdrawals now - so its onwards and upwards and SR is great for keeping us on track with that.
to SR !!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, 2daughters - A GREAT BIG Welcome to You !
Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome xxxx
Old 01-20-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. AA works great for some people, and not so great for others. Lots of people here doing there own thing to beat the alcohol addiction.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulation on choosing this life for you and your daughters!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2daughters View Post

been Sober for a total of 5 days now

I've attended 2 AA meetings since starting all this, and I just don't feel it is for me.
with only 5 days sober
seems a little soon to stop going to AA meetings

I would fill my sober belt with all I could at this early point in sobriety
then if you wish
possibly cut out AA later on ???

I'm always hesitant to stop doing what has worked for me so far

Mountainman
Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by 2daughters View Post
Around three weeks ago, I came to the realization that my drinking was going nowhere. I had gradually worked my way up to a 12pk of Beer a night within 2 years. I'm a 28yo male, and I want to be around for my daughter and the one on the way for a long time to come.

What initially got me started was a Dr. Google scare about cirrhosis, as well as seeing my Dad suffer from alcohol induced pancreatitis. Being the hypochondriac that I am, I began feeling what I thought were liver pains, and ultimately ended up at the doctor. For the first time in my life, I was completely honest with the doc, and am now getting the help I've been needing for years.

I've always been a functional alcoholic, which has made it that much harder to stop. I've been in denial for years.

After trying tapering off (which didn't work) my doctor prescribed me a short dose of ativan, and have been Sober for a total of 5 days now. Tonight is my first without the drugs, and so far so good. My withdrawals haven't been horrible (thank God), and I'm confident I can do this. I have felt better the last two days than I can even remember.

I go in for LFT's next week. Hope I haven't messed myself up too bad, but with no symptoms other than a random pain that comes and goes, I feel in good health.

I also suffer from severe anxiety, which has also seemed to improve since knocking off the booze.

I've attended 2 AA meetings since starting all this, and I just don't feel it is for me. Hoping I can find some support on this forum to get through this.

Thanks for listening, it feels great to get my story out there
There is only one thing worse than needing/wanting a drink, when your getting sober and that is seeing the disappointment in the eyes of your child, when your blind drunk. Fortunately, you have stopped before you experienced this, so did. I know friends from AA who didn't and they said, they would trade all the beer, wines and spirits of a thousand lifetimes if they could take it all back.

AA didn't work for me either but thats not to say I do not still attend meetings when I need help. Consider AA an necessary evil, some place where you will go if things ever get to much. You will always be welcome.

If there is one thing, I or anyone else on here will tell you, AA and its members would not want to make your journey sobriety any more difficult than it need be, there just not that kind of people. Some times you might have to simply change meeting venues to find a group of people you connect with.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Greetings and good luck with your recovery. Stay str
Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

stay strong. You deserve, your family deserves it and it is the best for all.

I'm new in recovery and strongly recommend AA. Many will say to give it 6 meetings before casting judgement. Can you do the same? Try different meetings and hopefully you will find different groups that click.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! 5 days is excellent. Keep going.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the support. I have tried two different AA groups, and still didn't feel comfortable, but I will try again. Being from a small town makes this more difficult as there are only so many meetings to choose from.

Last night was the first I didn't even crave a drink, and I feel great today.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five days sober. That's a great start to a better life.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for making the decision to stop drinking.