Notices

Recovering From Alcohol Abuse

Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering From Alcohol Abuse

So for some reason, I get dizzy after I eat and get crazy ringing in my ears for like two hours. I googled (until I can see doc) and I have all the symptoms of gastritus and all the symptoms of hypotension (I got put on a blood pressure pill until after alcohol detox, so this might be what's messing me up). I'm not asking for advice, I'm just letting you all know what's going on with me.

I also have panic attacks sometimes.

These are two things that I have noticed since I quit drinking eight days ago that haven't gotten better with quitting. I didn't notice these issues when I was drinking.

I'm kind of having an issue staying positive. It sounds ridiculous, because obviously things will always be much worse with alcohol, and I could get an anti anxiety medicine to fix the panic attacks if I need it. I can't shake the feeling for some reason. And I can't help but dread that these health issues could be something more serious. They likely aren't as I just had complete blood work and all sorts of tests done.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gastritis is a very common problem for alcoholics. The good news is that it usually heals when the source if the problem is removed. It's great you're going to see your doctor. Take it easy until then. If the blood pressure med is making you feel I'll then is definitely call and talk to someone ASAP.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend no more Dr Google...

it could be a lot of things but it's probably not worth worrying about Justin

D
Old 01-19-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And I just saw that you quit drinking 8 days ago. Your body will need more than a week or so to heal. Our bodies can bounce back after this abuse but not that quickly! If you've just had the blood work and it came back fine, I would treat your anxiety with your doctor and then let your body do the work of healing. Big hugs.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah it was less than a month ago. Cholesterol a tad high and I gained a crap load of weight from years of drinking, but nothing wrong with my heart or that shriveled up organ that I call my liver. lol
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is great news!!! If your anxiety is really bothering you get help for that too. You are on the right track. Keep posting
Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The anxiety is coming from the dizziness lol. if I can get the dizziness to go away, I'd quit worrying. Small problems I suppose.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I had a good doc and full medical insurance and it still took three months before the stuff like you are going through to ease up. Six months before I felt like they would stay gone and two years before all the PAWS were truly gone. Some minor issues remain like memory. Did I mention memory issues remain? (KIDDING!)

Hang in there or hangover!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Justin,

So good that you've had blood tests done so that you have some peace of mind. It will take some time. I have anxiety issues as well. I also had gastritis and it cleared up just recently. I've been sober for almost two months and I am finding that my stomach is for the most part better. The dizziness would come and go and then directly after the dizziness would come the anxiety. I agree with Dee on the google md. It, in and of itself became an addiction... just googling symptoms.. feeding the anxiety. Keep coming on here and if you can, read as much as you can on addiction. There are so many great books on that list on the main page. However if you are too distracted to read, the chat option is great too. You can meet people who can talk to you right away. oh yeah and if you are drinking caffeine, try cutting it out. You might get headaches at first (I did) but the anxiety has lessened.
I understand the feeling of thinking that there could be something else wrong. I have felt that way as well. It will take some time for you to heal. You can do this! you can!
Big hugs.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Give yourself 365 days and see how you feel.

It's a world of difference then!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dr. Google should be struck off in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What sugarbear said - I'm at over 4 months and I still have things come up. Everyone always think they stop drinking and BAM - all better. Took a while for your body to get to the place of deterioration it is in now - will take a while to get healthy. Might be incentive to stay sober/in recovery?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So I woke up this morning, and all the dizziness was gone. Ears still ring, but the dizziness going away pretty much fixed all my anxiety issues.

I can finally feel normal sober.