Notices

Moving Early in Sobriety

Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving Early in Sobriety

Hello. Today is day #29 and Im feeling allot better. Everyone I have meet in recovery says that every day gets a little better and I have found this to be true. I recently was presented with a great job opportunity within my company but the only problem is its 2000 miles away. I have moved allot over the years so moving isn't anything new to me. Some people I have talked to in meeting as well as my sponsor say life happens regardless of where I am in sobriety and others say to wait. I have already found meetings in the area I would be moving to so AA will still be a part of my life. I think a change would be good, almost a new beginning to my new sober life. Moving to Hunting Beach California from Chicago during the middle of winter wouldn't be terrible. The cold windy grey days start to get me depressed so the sunshine, beach and palm trees might enlighten my mood! Anyone had experience with a relocation during recovery? Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a great change. I think if you can handle it, then go for it. I grew up in Hunington beach, Orange county. It is sunny and warm out here in California. Just stay connected to everyone, and communicate when things get stressful. Seems like you are doing great so far, so I think you could do this. Just go with what makes you feel strength. Great that you checked out other AA classes in new area..
Old 01-19-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It sounds like a good opportunity for you. If you feel up to it, go for it. I wish you success in your new position.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand why people are saying wait, but everyone's different

If moving is not inherently stressful to you, and you want to move, if the move brings benefits for you, and you feel secure in your recovery, then I can't see whats stopping you, sid