SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New to being clean (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/320021-new-being-clean.html)

Clarity12 01-18-2014 08:56 PM

New to being clean

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to end my dependence on opiates. Enough was enough. I blew through all my money, couldn't function in school without a buzz on, and was growing increasingly dependent on the artificial high that always seemed to wear off too fast. I really want a more sustainable way of life. I recently kicked and went through withdrawl for about a week, which, needless to say was anything but pleasant. I'm 21 days clean and plan on staying that way for the long haul. I have been looking for any information I can find online about recovery and how to stay quit, and stumbled upon this forum. The posts I've read have made me believe this is a source of advice and support from people with much more experience living sober/clean than I have. I'm not sure what else to say, other than I want to be clean. I guess I could add that I'm having trouble filling this huge void left behind by drugs. I quit and my "friends" left with the meds. Oh well. I guess this is a lot more than just not doing drugs, huh? Anyways, greetings to all, I plan on changing my life. :tyou

justinJustQuit 01-18-2014 08:59 PM

Welcome to SR Clarity. I had a brief struggle with opiates but alcohol was my undoing.

I'm sure someone will post something more useful soon. But with alcohol, I find that filling the sheer time void of being incognito for hours is a first step. If I don't have time to think about it, I don't.

Coldfusion 01-18-2014 09:00 PM

:welcome

I hope this is the beginning of a long sober relationship between you and SoberRecovery.

Mags1 01-18-2014 09:03 PM

Hi Clarity, I love your positivity.
My addiction was alcohol but as you observed there are lots of people here who will be able to help you, lots of info to read, you will have seen the stickies at the top.
All the best, you did the right thing. X

TigerLili 01-18-2014 09:07 PM

Welcome to SR. Well done on 21 day clean.

marchHazel 01-18-2014 09:15 PM

welcome. kicking opiates sucks. I kicked cold turkey after doing dope for over a year. It was a while ago though, like mid 90's. Ive been smart enough not to run dope since then. that hurt.

keep up the good work and be careful not to let the addiction try to trick you into thinking just doing a little would be ok.

peace

least 01-19-2014 12:57 AM

Welcome to SR! Congrats on 21 days clean. :) We also have a substance abuse forum if you're interested. Lots of insight there from others in similar situations.

PurpleKnight 01-19-2014 08:27 AM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

Great job on 21 Days!! :You_Rock_

Clarity12 02-12-2014 10:33 AM

day 46. Life is meh. Things are going really well otherwise, there's just these meh portions of every day with these yay portions mixed in. But the yay portions are getting longer and the meh portions are getting shorter. I hope this makes sense

Dee74 02-12-2014 03:46 PM

It does :)
Congratulations on your progress Clarity :)

D

Beanie25 02-12-2014 04:01 PM

46 days is great!! Makes perfect sense by the way.

Anna 02-12-2014 04:04 PM

It does make sense. And congratulations for reaching Day 46. Good for you.

Hevyn 02-12-2014 04:05 PM

Congratulations on your 46 Clarity - that is wonderful. :)

Clarity12 02-13-2014 08:26 AM

I would like to solidify my reasons for staying clean. Maybe others will identify with these things.

I get chills when I actually FEEL something. Like a strong emotion, or a sense of accomplishment, or sadness, makes me feel like I have never felt before whilst on the opes. I think for the fist time in a while I can feel emotions.

I find things funny. Almost to the point of insanity, like laughing uncontrollably when someone says something funny. It's like I forgot how to laugh.

I feel disgust for the person I had become. The people I used to associate with.

I feel like I'm plugging into a higher reality of existence. I see people living in the moment and want to be able to do that. I guess I'm learning.

I want people to see the LIFE beaming out of my eyeballs. I want to be contagiously positive and be an example for my brother. Not to long ago if you looked in my eyes you wouldn't see much going on, but I want to get to the place where I have a presence, something like a mystical life force that spills out and into others around me.

I just noticed these things are kind of spiritual. Huh.

Anyways, I'm starting to live again and I just wanted to share. Thanks for all your love and support.

Clarity12 03-06-2014 10:36 AM

Holding strong at day 68 here, things have been up and down lately but I'm feeling ok.

Coldfusion 03-06-2014 10:42 AM

Don't be such a stranger! SoberRecovery can help out during those down times (maybe even prevent them).

tootsl1 03-06-2014 11:25 AM

Clarity, I see you haven't posted on any threads, have you checked out any of the substance abuse threads on here? Or even the class of March 2014,( or Jan 2014 as it's when you quit) mostly drinkers but there will be some with substance abuse too,you can read and post with others who ALS have great days and meh days. Let's face it Everyone had great days and meh days ! :) you are doing so well be proud x

Clarity12 03-13-2014 02:28 PM

I think I had a slip. I smoked some cannabis for two days straight and drank a bit. No pills though thank god. It sucks 'cause I feel like a fraud. I hope this doesn't mean back to square one. I'm determined to not let this lead to a full relapse, but the self hatred is killing me right now.