Notices

Cant not stand AA

Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Cant not stand AA

If it works for you, GREAT. AA annoys me. I've looked into RR. I like it, but I hate this idea that to get sober I need a 'support group'. Been sober for a bit, just hate when people tell me to go to AA. When I tell them 'no thanks' they makes me feel like some jerk that wants to drink. I really dont. Sorry to rant. After 15+ years of drinking ppl are like 'wtf man'. I'm trying really hard/
Old 01-18-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are alternatives to AA but most of them do involve a support group of some kind. This website is a support group :-)

I think most people would struggle to get sober without help and support of some kind.

Maybe a drug and alcohol counsellor would help you?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

RR makes sense to me, BUT unlike AA there are no groups. I cant talk to anyone.I just tough it out and wish to god I had someone that understood my pain.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too would suggest counseling. I know it helped me a lot to have a third party to talk to and get feedback from.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

SR is the only support group, I have been happy with. I found AA actually stressed me out so much, I felt that I needed a drink after. You have to go with what works for you.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

TY all for the kind words. I'm really trying hard. SB is at times the only REAL friend that I can talk to. So yeah, thanks.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Ncognito13 View Post
I just tough it out and wish to god I had someone that understood my pain.
I don't believe I am powerless over alcohol. I don't 12 step. I don't believe a higher power is going to relieve my alcoholism. I don't believe it works if you work it. I don't care for holding hands with strangers and reciting the Lord's prayer. But sometimes I go to AA meetings. That's where I find other alcoholics working hard to stay sober. That's where I find people who understand my pain.

Best of luck on your journey!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Just curious, what is it about AA that annoys you?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SR has a secular recovery section you could want to check out some time.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I don't care for holding hands with strangers and reciting the Lord's prayer.
Haha me either. I used to go to meetings specifically because they didn't hold hands at the end!

I'm in Australia and I believe it's common practice across the board NOT to say the Lord's Prayer at the end. We say the Serenity Prayer and the person who kicks it off says "To the god of your understanding..."

I wouldn't have gone back if they had been saying the Lord's Prayer.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In America they say the Lord's Prayer, but claim to be non-denominational.

Ncognito--I found the tough love approach of AA to be difficult. Sometimes it just felt cruel. And the help was not as strong as that I got from friends. (I would call friends when I wanted to use, which is against the 12-step way.)

I really needed non-judgmental help and honest one-on-one communication. A good clinical psychologist did wonders for me. I recommend this approach for anyone put off by the harshness of AA. AA helps a lot of people, but some of us need something different.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You don't have to go to AA. SR is a support group. If you need face-to-face then you have to deal with what's available that way. Have you considered counseling\therapy?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There's plenty about AA I don't care for, but I get enough out of the meetings I attend to keep me going back. I did it on my own for 5 years then failed, something was obviously missing.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The meetings help me. Some of the people are off.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

If AA's not your thing there's many many alternatives.

here's some links to some of the main players (including AA):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend any one interested visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

I don't really see why people spend so much time thinking or writing about something they don't like to be honest - I much prefer hearing about what works for people, not what doesn't.

I'd like to remind people again:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
D
Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Linda and I'm in recovery from co-dependency and food addiction. I once learned that addiction is the disease of isolation, so going to a support group whether it's AA or another organization, can be very helpful because it breaks the isolation and surrounds you with other people who are going through the same thing and have similar goals....

Speaking for myself only, I have found when I get miffed or defensive regarding feedback someone is giving me, this usually means that they have exposed an issue that I need to take a closer look at...

Whatever you decide, I wish you well and hope that you
you will find a program that right for you....

Last edited by Diva76; 01-18-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I had more to say...
Old 01-18-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am the mom of a son with an addiction problem.

Your words are like a breath of fresh air. I don't care for the 12 step approach either. Nice to be able to vent that!

I much prefer private counseling. You should check it out.

For the person who asked why.... for me I didn't like the NarAnon meetings for family members because I don't like the premise that one is somehow 'defective' and 'powerless'. It seems degrading to say one is defective. If one believes they are 'powerless' then how could they possibly overcome this? Makes no sense to me. I would say they have all the power over this. They might need help to realize it or make it happen but the power is within them I believe.

I don't believe in the 'higher power' part either. If there were a higher power that takes care of things then why do people OD and die from this? Did their higher power skip out on them?

It just annoys me too. This post may be deleted because I sense that non AA talk is not appreciated here. I don't mean any disrespect as whatever works for any one individual is good because it does help many. But if someone wants to know why the 12 step program is not for someone then I think we should be able to express that....as long as we don't put down anyone or what way they choose to help themselves.

Kari
Old 01-18-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Civil discussion is fine KariSue...
it's just that threads like this can stop being communicative and turn bad and that's not really good for anyone.

Like I said, I'd rather hear about what works than what doesn't - a focus on solutions, not more problems.
Neither Anna or myself are 12 steppers btw

D
Old 01-18-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ncognito13, everyone here understands your pain, and please pat yourself on the back for toughing it out, just proves how determined you are to stop using. I wished I could afford private counseling, sounds like a way to go. Rootin for ya.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KariSue View Post
I am the mom of a son with an addiction problem.

Your words are like a breath of fresh air. I don't care for the 12 step approach either. Nice to be able to vent that!

I much prefer private counseling. You should check it out.

For the person who asked why.... for me I didn't like the NarAnon meetings for family members because I don't like the premise that one is somehow 'defective' and 'powerless'. It seems degrading to say one is defective. If one believes they are 'powerless' then how could they possibly overcome this? Makes no sense to me. I would say they have all the power over this. They might need help to realize it or make it happen but the power is within them I believe.

I don't believe in the 'higher power' part either. If there were a higher power that takes care of things then why do people OD and die from this? Did their higher power skip out on them?

It just annoys me too. This post may be deleted because I sense that non AA talk is not appreciated here. I don't mean any disrespect as whatever works for any one individual is good because it does help many. But if someone wants to know why the 12 step program is not for someone then I think we should be able to express that....as long as we don't put down anyone or what way they choose to help themselves.

Kari
In our Al-Anon meeting tonight, we were discussing the first step and for me, powerlessness means that I can't control another person much less an alcoholic that is in denial over their addiction...
When I finally "got" that, I found my own life became a lot less chaotic....
In the past, when I made other people's business "my business" my own life ended up falling apart....

I think that the concept of powerless is open to personal interpretation...
In terms of the person being "defective" I don't think it's about disparaging the addict as a person, rather it's about all the "isms" and distorted ways of thinking that are "defective" if you will...

For example, I will always love my ex boyfriend and I will never think of him as being "defective"
It's true that I couldn't stay with him, because of how his alcoholism was affecting me, but there are still things about him that I find far from being defective....

Addict or non-addict, none of us is perfect and I think we're all works in progress....

Whichever path you take, I sincerely hope it's the right one for you as you deal with your son's addiction....

All the best,

Linda

Last edited by Diva76; 01-18-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Typos courtesy of auto correct..