Notices

Cant not stand AA

Old 01-19-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
..... stood on my head in Times square if I thought it would help......
Old 01-19-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I agree that posts that talk about what works for the poster can be helpful, as compared to posts critical of any 'program of recovery'.

RR is Rational Recovery, and its tool is called AVRT, or Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. It's not a program, and it doesn't have organized meetings. You can learn more about it by googling the relevant terms, or by visiting our Secular Connections forum. I think that forum is the best online resource for AVRT/RR outside of the RR website with a lengthy and comprehensive discussion of AVRT, now sitting at around 2500 posts.

One person's understanding of AVRT is described in this: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
jkb

In my experience sobriety is its own reward no matter how you get there. I naturally am a more honest person with others and with myself because I don't drink. I am a happier, well adjusted person because I don't drink. Use whatever program you want....Just don't drink/use.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Sometimes I think the urge to vent about aa is similar to walking into a bakery and describing all the reasons why you hate cake. Well, you don't have to go into the bakery and you don't have to like cake.
It's there if you want it, and it's not there if you don't want it.
The only way this analogy works is if you acknowledge that there is a pervasive, vocal faction amongst cake-eaters which insists that the only way to cure one's hunger is to go to the bakery, buy a cake, and eat it in precisely the manner that previous cake-eaters have done it, or else you shall surely DIE ! ! ! of your hunger.

I could be wrong, but I think what this OP (as well as others) is criticizing isn't the cake. It's the attitude sometimes encountered in the cake-eating crowd that whether you like the cake or not, if you don't eat it, you'll fail.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
The only way this analogy works is if you acknowledge that there is a pervasive, vocal faction amongst cake-eaters which insists that the only way to cure one's hunger is to go to the bakery, buy a cake, and eat it in precisely the manner that previous cake-eaters have done it, or else you shall surely DIE ! ! ! of your hunger.

I could be wrong, but I think what this OP (as well as others) is criticizing isn't the cake. It's the attitude sometimes encountered in the cake-eating crowd that whether you like the cake or not, if you don't eat it, you'll fail.
That's just funny. Thanks for this.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

JKB...........could you explain what is funny?
Old 01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I could be wrong, but I think what this OP (as well as others) is criticizing isn't the cake.
I could agree with you if the OP had not been entitled “Cant not stand AA”, and then said in his post “ AA annoys me”. Looks to me like these are comments on the cake.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Fresh Start, thanks for the link to that post about AVRT and to you saying You Are NOT Powerless, I say Amen.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Originally Posted by Lifes4Living View Post
Fresh Start, thanks for the link to that post about AVRT and to you saying You Are NOT Powerless, I say Amen.
AA did nothing for me. RR has a website you can read, or a $10 book you can buy. It helped. I didnt feel like some powerless loser. I took control. I'm not hopeless, I can do this.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
AA member

I thought debates about AA were not allowed in the newcomers forum?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifes4Living View Post
Still don't understand all the disdain around the word powerless. If we're alcoholic, and any of us get into a ring with alcohol, we're gonna get our asses kicked. If not, then I'd say we can drink safely, and I don't believe any of us here is saying we can. If alcohol can kick our butts, then it has more power. Dontcha think? And we are therefore powerless over alcohol. Other than that I've got lots of power over lots of things. And ironically, that one simple admission has been the main thing that allowed me to have all the power I now have. Including the power to decide in any situation whether I want to drink or not. And I don't want to drink. So I don't. And have no desire or intention to for the rest of my life.

PS. The 1st step in AA asks that we admit we are powerless over alcohol. Period. That's very different than the assumption a lot of people make.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm closing thread temporarily.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll forego the cake analogy I think.

I think members on both sides of this argument can gush forth definitive, sweeping statements based on very little personal experience of the other method being criticized - which is why these threads often end up combative, and it's why we bought in the rule about debates here in the first place...

These threads may be peoples first exposure to various recovery methods. I think it's sensible to remember you're all ambassadors in that sense.

Anna and I have discussed it and we feel the issue has been dealt with sufficiently.

Please remember in future tho.

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential.
Thread closed.
D