Notices

Eight days--do you splurge once in a while?

Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

strange advice your friend gave you to do that just my opinion. The reason I'm here is I can't drink in moderation. On a rare occasion, I would have a drink or two, the rest of the time it was drinking until blacking out . Since, you're posting this on a recovery site, I'm guessing your drinking is a concern or, you'd be watching something on TV or something else.

A thought of having a drink isn't in my mind today. If the thought of a drink is consuming your thoughts, it's an obsession and not a healthy one.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I guess part of my problem is my lack of motivation to stop. Really, the only thing motivating me is my fear of dying from liver failure. But then, I'm very depressed and another part of me thinks that I wouldn't care either way. My drinking isn't hurting anyone besides my own health. I have no family/children, and due to numerous health issues (none caused by alcohol), I'm unable to work or go to school. I rarely leave my apartment due to said health issues. So it's like...I want to stop drinking because I don't want to die, but also, the drinking gives me something to look forward to. I understand that the negatives will eventually (and perhaps sooner than later, who can say) outweigh the positives, but when you're indifferent about your life to begin with it's kind of...eh.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foureyedfool View Post

Do you guys 'splurge', or is it all or nothing for you?
I end up drunk and in blackouts when I do that

Mountainman
Old 01-18-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It took me many years to figure out that I can't just drink in moderation. I am all or nothing. I know that I'm an alcoholic. It's nothing for me.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

, the drinking gives me something to look forward to. I understand that the negatives will eventually (and perhaps sooner than later, who can say) outweigh the positives, but when you're indifferent about your life to begin with it's kind of...eh.
the drinking always ends up in a negative way for people that are alcoholic.

I have hopes and dreams today that alcohol took away from me years back. You can find other things to look forward to besides drinking.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have one false leg, my other leg has 16 screws and 2 plates in it and a crap load of memories that make me scream myself and the rest of my house awake every night without fail for the past 8 years. I could sit and feel sorry for myself all day but im making the best out of the sh** I have left. I've seen many lives snuffed out who would run across the earth to be alive now, in any capacity. I do wheelchair basketball, im using the internet to find out so many cool things to do now to take my time. Instead of sitting here pickling in alcohol for the rest of my life I will find something to make me happy, as life is too precious to not care about. I suggest you do something similar.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

To me, splurging is a lot like returning to an abusive relationship...just for the weekend.

What Dee said
Old 01-18-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am a binge drinker and I can tell you that one splurge will drag you straight back to day one.

it has taken me 16 days to detox this time and I still don't feel right. My brain is screwed. I think it will take me months if not more to heal and repair. If I splurge I may never get clean again.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

No way in Hell, I'd do that. It's all or nothing for me. Some of these posts today are somewhat scary to me. If I get it in my head I can go out and "have a beer" or "splurge once in a while" I'll be back to square 1 like many others have said here.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I guess part of my problem is my lack of motivation to stop.

Really, the only thing motivating me is my fear of dying from liver failure.
I just grabbed those two sentences, because they are all that is needed. Read 'em a few times. Think about what you might say to someone you care about if they said them to you.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've heard that liver failure is a really horrible way to die.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Do you really think you will be satisfied with a couple drinks? Is it for the flavor? A few drinks for me is a waste. I've tried and tried and thought and thought about moderation but I ALWAYS want /wanted to get drunk... Not buzzed, not light euphoria. Drunk.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I understand that the negatives will eventually (and perhaps sooner than later, who can say) outweigh the positives, but when you're indifferent about your life to begin with it's kind of...eh.
I wish I could change your mind about being indifferent about life, but I'm not sure what I can do to convince you that life is worth living. It sounds like you are in a funk due to your health issues. Maybe work toward finding something that interests you and gives you a reason to get up every day and make the most of it.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

maybe not ready?

Originally Posted by Zeepa View Post
The point is it wont stay at once a week. It never sticks. You clearly still want to drink
Moderation is great when it works, but if you can handle moderation than you should be able to easily go without for 8 days and not be craving as bad as you are. Its always good to look at other motives as to why you joined SR. Great support and encouragement. But also because you are questioning or justifying that you can drink without being a drunk. If that is the case than you should not be questioning yourself and reaching out for advice. I may be way off base with what you are feeling, but from what I have read you don't feel like you have a problem and once a week is fine. If you are that strong in your heart, there should NOT EVEN PINCH OF DOUBT in your mind. You are lucky if that is you.
I have to be all in or no go for me. Once a week turns into every 3 days, to every other night, to one drink a night, to drunk every night. Good luck in your decisions.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I personally cannot. I tried it many times though. "Celebrating" my sobriety never worked! I would keep on and on....
Old 01-18-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I can withstand no drinking again for the rest of my life, in fact I have found it quite easy, once I accepted I could never drink again.

The moment I have that first drink, I become obsessed with one though, drink and drink, until eventually I go on a complete bender.

Its just easier to just abstain.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm emerging from depression, mostly alcohol induced. At eight days sober I felt like a loser that I let myself get so deep into it, and that I had come to the realization that I had tried moderation for literally decades, and I just couldn't do it.

I'm finding other ways to splurge. Nothing can "replace" alcohol, but I don't want to replace it, I want to move on. I've calculated how much I was spending on alcohol, and I've been treating myself to things I would normally consider luxuries - and I'm spending no more than I was when I was drinking:

Okay, on a typical weekend I would spend a minimum of $20 on alcohol, and often over $50 or more if I was at a brewpub or bar. My weekday consumption was relatively moderate, but even two bottles of wine would cost me $20. So, we're talking an average of probably $50 a week or $200 a month, and that is truthfully being conservative.

So how do I splurge?

a 90 minute massage for $65
organic or exotic produce I would normally blow off due to the price
nice lean free range or organic meats and eggs
fun nonalcoholic drinks I've never tried because I couldn't see paying that much for something without alcohol
books and music
new toys, like the kick pedals I bought to build a unique foot percussion set
a mountain cabin for a week in March to reconnect with my higher power
hell, I might just get that new air conditioner for my old truck
Old 01-18-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I can't just splurge. I would have to splurge again tomorrow and the next day and the next and.....then my body and life would fall apart.

My luxuries now are food, sleep, and buying nice things for myself and my family with former booze money.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I guess part of my problem is my lack of motivation to stop. Really, the only thing motivating me is my fear of dying from liver failure. But then, I'm very depressed and another part of me thinks that I wouldn't care either way.
Dying of liver failure is not a care either way sort of thing. It's slow and incredibly horrible. Have you ever known anyone who died of liver failure? If not, do a google image search of alcoholic ascites. People violently bleed to death. Things like that happen. It is very very bad. It is torturous. I know this is blunt - Just hoping I break through your indifference.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I went on several dry spells in the past. A couple over 90 days. Every time I decided to "reward" myself with a nice little drink, I ended up worse than I was when I quit previously. I have accepted that I can't drink at all anymore.