Notices

Sobriety with Fitness

Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used walking and eventually running to help deal with cravings. I'm 5 months without drinking and run 4-5 times per week now and have lost 28 pounds. I found the best way for me to fight cravings was to get out of the house and run. Now I'm hooked on running and cravings for alcohol are infrequent.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I go to the gym most days as it makes me realise how much work u have to do to get rid of calories that could have been consumed by drinking
So not worth it lol
I love working out and eating healthy. My life has really changed for the positive without drinking. Xxx
Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Does help realising how many calories there are in alcohol. creates another reason not to drink.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I bought a bike a week or so ago. Been out for an hour a day since and one of the hills near me has got that bit easier each day! I have to say my mood is better as a result - no doubt about it!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Seems like a few of us have problems with insomnia, depression, and anxiety. I was self-medicating all three with alcohol but am finding that exercise does much the same thing. Not the WHOLE thing, all the time, evidently - it's 4 a.m. and I'm wide awake! Then again, I'd often stay up drinking until 5 a.m.

Hitting the gymn also fills up those evenings when I might otherwise just pop over to the liquor store. I might be a wee bit paranoid, but I leave my wallet behind so I'm not tempted to stop on the way back at any of the 8 (8!) liquor stores within a 3-block radius of my home......And once I'm home, all I want is a snack, a shower, and thirty minutes of quiet time before bed.

AND, best of all, I joined fitness classes so it's social, which is especially beneficial since I was seriously isolating myself as a result of drinking. I'm still getting odd bruises, but at least now I know where they came from!!! (on my arms from the resistance bands, on my elbows from the plank, on my knees from collapsing out of the plank...)

Win-win-win!!!