Notices

I'm about to pick up - first time ine over a year

Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it's worrying you this much why not call the police instead of waiting for the letter DB?

D
Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Memberado

Dee,

I guess I should just do that.

The thing is, there are three different stations the call could have come from (I looked it up and there are three of them in the area of the city he said he was calling from).

Next thing is, I didn't volunteer my name or address to them. So they only have my number to go on. Unless they already got my info from my phone company (even though the call came on a Friday afternoon and I highly doubt they'd get any info over the week-end).

I can imagine the call: "Hi, I am calling you back because I got a call today, supposedly from your station, claiming that I was under investigation for a stolen cell phone. By the way, you don't have my name or address, you just have my number. Does a case like that sound familiar to you?"

Meh

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If it's worrying you this much why not call the police instead of waiting for the letter DB?

D
Old 01-17-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesperadoBlond View Post
THAT is what feels different now.

I KNOW a drink will make things even worse. But for the first time in a very long time, I don't think I care if things get worse now.
DB,

You may not feel like that in the morning when you would perhaps even have more on the line. If you are innocent, you have nothing to worry about. Glad that you have consulted an attorney. Please don't do anything to make matters worse. hopefully, tomorrow things can be cleared up. Sending absolute good thoughts your way.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I can imagine the call: "Hi, I am calling you back because I got a call today, supposedly from your station, claiming that I was under investigation for a stolen cell phone. By the way, you don't have my name or address, you just have my number. Does a case like that sound familiar to you?"
Actually yeah that sounds like exactly what you should call and say. It will give you peace of mind.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Dee,

I guess I should just do that.

The thing is, there are three different stations the call could have come from (I looked it up and there are three of them in the area of the city he said he was calling from).

Next thing is, I didn't volunteer my name or address to them. So they only have my number to go on. Unless they already got my info from my phone company (even though the call came on a Friday afternoon and I highly doubt they'd get any info over the week-end).

Meh
If they don't know your name how could they be accusing you? And they didn't say which station they were calling from?? I am sorry if I am missing something, I have not read through all your responses yet!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Memberado

I ended up not picking up thanks to you guys. It's horrible, but this is the closest I have ever come I think since I stopped drinking well over a year ago.

I felt fine this afternoon and thought I could just "let go and let God" because if someone wants to press fake charges against me, or maybe if it's a mistake, then of course I have nothing to worry about - logically.

I then went to a meeting this evening and started feeling horrible. Almost like I had a fever and sudden head-ache and heart burn. And then all the horror scenarios really started working on my brain. "Someone out there really hates me and wants to frame me... someone wants to ruin my life and I dont know who it is."

What also kept me from drinking this time (thank God) was remembering my old black out behavior. I currently have an extra job that I really need... and I need to communicate with people via email/text/phone sometimes late in the evening... I can just imagine what my black out behavior would have done to this job. I have NO control or recollection about what I do in black outs. I'm too scared of that to drink in the end, I guess. Even though I was really, really tempted this time.

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
DB,

You may not feel like that in the morning when you would perhaps even have more on the line. If you are innocent, you have nothing to worry about. Glad that you have consulted an attorney. Please don't do anything to make matters worse. hopefully, tomorrow things can be cleared up. Sending absolute good thoughts your way.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Memberado

Hey,

the person accusing me claims he met me online and just has my number (no name).

The city I live in is divided into 20 districts. The officer did say that he called from the station of district number XX. However, when I looked at the map there are three stations in that district.

Originally Posted by sillysuzanfree View Post
If they don't know your name how could they be accusing you? And they didn't say which station they were calling from?? I am sorry if I am missing something, I have not read through all your responses yet!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hey,

the person accusing me claims he met me online and just has my number (no name).

The city I live in is divided into 20 districts. The officer did say that he called from the station of district number XX. However, when I looked at the map there are three stations in that district.
Oh OK...I hope I did not add fuel to the fire...you're doing the right thing by posting and speaking to us here on SR!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I would do one of two things.

1. Decide it's a hoax or a scam - maybe do some googling to see if you can find anyone talking about something similar.

2. Go to a payphone with the time of the call and everything you remember about the conversation written down. Call a police station or hotline for the public. Tell them you got this call and don't think it's legit and what should you do.

Oh, and don't pick up a drink! You won't be able to deal with this if you're drunk or hungover.

I highly, highly doubt this call was legit.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Talking

Well Desperado,

I see it like this, there must be someone looking out for you persay, there has been plenty of responses and you have been responding to them wearing your fingers out. In short it has kept you very busy on not drinking and calming your thoughts. God never gives us anything we cant handle!!!!

Take care and celebrate another 24 hrs of sobriety!!

Huggs and strength

Matt
Old 01-17-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Memberado

No worries! This is a weird story.

Yeah, I have been doing so good in AA for a long time. But I guess this was one of those times when AA just wasn't enough. Good thing I wrote about it all here instead of going to buy wine.

Now the stores are closed and I'll head to bed.

Originally Posted by sillysuzanfree View Post
Oh OK...I hope I did not add fuel to the fire...you're doing the right thing by posting and speaking to us here on SR!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Memberado

Thanks Matt!

Yeah, it's good when you feel like you're not alone!

Originally Posted by cheebiechi View Post
Well Desperado,

I see it like this, there must be someone looking out for you persay, there has been plenty of responses and you have been responding to them wearing your fingers out. In short it has kept you very busy on not drinking and calming your thoughts. God never gives us anything we cant handle!!!!

Take care and celebrate another 24 hrs of sobriety!!

Huggs and strength

Matt
Old 01-17-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Your very welcome,

Matt
Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Desperado - I'm late to see your thread - but I'm so glad you came here to discuss what was going on. It's great when we finally realize drinking won't do a thing to help any situation - it'll only make us more anxious & stressed in the end. You didn't cave and we're proud of you.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Memberado

Thanks!

I do know that drinking no longer works. I think I was (and still am) really sad and just exhausted that life is as it is (for now). I guess drinking now would have been like giving this life the finger.

But then again, that is very childish. I know I'd only hurt myself.

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Desperado - I'm late to see your thread - but I'm so glad you came here to discuss what was going on. It's great when we finally realize drinking won't do a thing to help any situation - it'll only make us more anxious & stressed in the end. You didn't cave and we're proud of you.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Picking up a drink doesn't fix a thing I'm sorry your going through this trust me it makes it worse take care xxx
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I agree with others that this is a hoax. Possibly to get you out of your house at a specific day and time. You don't need to "ask" the police if they called you. You can call them to report a threatening phone call and that someone is impersonating the police. That's my take. Good for you getting through this.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

You are not guilty so do not worry.
Do not **** it up and drink you guys go home and just have a bath and try and relax. Easier said them done but I would rather go Into everything sober then been buggered up
Old 01-17-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Why do you not "feel' like calling the police to verify the complaint? Seems like one quick phone call could alleviate a lot of your stress, or at least let you know if it's legit. You not "feeling" like it; I don't understand. It's either going to make it much better, or at least answer your question of whether it's legit and should you give it a second thought.

None of it worth drinking over. Good luck to you.