Notices

I'm about to pick up - first time ine over a year

Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Drinking, doing drugs, getting wasted nothing brought me anything good, and made everything always worse.

Good luck, please don't pick up the drink
Old 01-17-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Memberado

Thanks Dee!

Even my most staunch AA friends were thrown off today. I asked one friend "where the heck is my higher power"! Bad health news, bad job news ALL the time and now THIS!

And she goes like... uh, yeah, your Higher Power is here... but so is the Devil it seems.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sorry to hear about the bad stuff DB.

The thing is - a drink won't fix any of it - if you drink it's all still gonna be there when you sober up, with maybe some more stuff to add to it.

Drinking as an FU to the world has a kind of French film doomed romance about it - but its the very definition of futility.

Last time I drank as a two fingers against the world, I lost 2 years of my life.

I really hope you get an upswing in fortunes soon K - I also really hope you don't drink. Go back and read old posts if you need to - some doors are best left shut.
D
Old 01-17-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesperadoBlond View Post
I have scheduled a session with a pro-bono legal advice place on Monday.
They don't actually go places with people, but they said they could advise me.

I asked the policer officer on the phone if I had the right not to respond to any questions without a lawyer present. He didn't like that, he said " if you haven't done anything, you don't need a lawyer."

And when I tried to insist, however, on knowing whether it is my right to have a lawyer present when answering questions, he said: Alright, we are not getting anywhere, I will find out your address from the phone company and you will receive a formal letter calling you in for a hearing. *click*
Hang on - the police are phoning you without knowing your address?? Sounds very dodgy to me. I would phone the police station back and ask if they've phoned you!

Here in the UK it's not unknown for people to phone to see if anyones home before a burglary. Another trick they use is to throw mud at a window when the lights are on - if no-one reacts - no-one is in.

This all sounds like some sort of sick wind up Xx
Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Memberado

I'm just baffled by this.

Why would someone press frivolous charges like this? I googled it and where I live, and pressing false charges like this can give you 6 months of prison and 7500 euros in a fine.

The officer told me the person claims I met them online and when they came home to my place, two months ago, I took their cell phone!

I have not met anyone from online since July 2013! And I most definitely did not steal anybody's cell phone.

I am wondering if this is a set up by someone who is then planning on following me out of the station.

I must be dealing with a lunatic.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Memberado

I'm in France.

The officer tells me the person who pressed charges had nothing but my number to give the police.

That makes me wonder HOW the person accusing me claims they came home to my place then. Then again, knowing the French police and how unorganised they are, I am prepared to believe anything.

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
Hang on - the police are phoning you without knowing your address?? Sounds very dodgy to me. I would phone the police station back and ask if they've phoned you!

Here in the UK it's not unknown for people to phone to see if anyones home before a burglary. Another trick they use is to throw mud at a window when the lights are on - if no-one reacts - no-one is in.

This all sounds like some sort of sick wind up Xx
Old 01-17-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Memberado

In the end,

knowing that the accusation is entirely false - do I have to be worried?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about you but I believe in God and bad things still happen to me

Life is good and bad - and was ever so...

I still am grateful I have a second chance to experience it

and I'm sure it's upsetting but if the accusations are false and groundless, I can't see you have anything to fear?

D
Old 01-17-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It honestly sounds like some sort of sick joke or some type of set up. Have you phoned the police back?
I lived in Paris for 2 years and the police have way more important things to do than bother about things like this.
I would definitely phone them and find out IF they called you

PS - Why would police say they'll get your address from phone company? Why not just ask you for it! (they have endless ways of finding it out anyway) - just doesn't seem real to me Xx
Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Memberado

Dee,

I do too these days.

But when it's just thing after thing like this...

I wonder if I have to go for like an exorcism.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I dunno about you but I believe in God and bad things still happen to me

Life is good and bad - and was ever so...

I still am grateful I have a second chance to experience it

and I'm sure it's upsetting but if the accusations are false and groundless, I can't see you have anything to fear?

D
Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Memberado

Thanks for the feed back! I'm in Paris.

They called from a blocked number... which I guess could be legit for a government office. He did say which commissariat he was calling from, however, he was trying hard to get my name and address.

When I told him I want a lawyer before answering anything - if that is indeed my legal right - he said: OK, well I will find out your name and address from your phone company and send you a letter with your hearing date.

Knowing how crazy and unorganized France is... anything can happen here.

No, I haven't called back to the Police. If they only had my number to go on, then I am sure, that even if I called back, they could not tell me if indeed they have called me or not... until they have my name.

It honestly sounds like some sort of sick joke or some type of set up. Have you phoned the police back?
I lived in Paris for 2 years and the police have way more important things to do than bother about things like this.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Memberado

He did ask me for my name and address.

I didn't give it.

Sounds fishy I guess that they didn't get my name and address BEFORE calling me (because obviously they can do that via the phone company).

PS - Why would police say they'll get your address from phone company? Why not just ask you for it! (they have endless ways of finding it out anyway) - just doesn't seem real to me Xx
Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

TNo, I haven't called back to the Police. If they only had my number to go on, then I am sure, that even if I called back, they could not tell me if indeed they have called me or not... until they have my name.
If they don't even know what your name is it's literally impossible for them to file any type of charge against you. This is almost certainly a hoax - please call the police department right away.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Memberado

I guess the sad thing about all of this is that I allow unknown people to have this kind of power over me.

But in the end, my gut feeling is that the call was legit. I guess I will just have to show up for the hearing and just be honest.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Memberado

In France it is easy for the Police to get a phone line owner's name + address from the phone company.

I guess I will just have to wait and see when that letter comes.

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
If they don't even know what your name is it's literally impossible for them to file any type of charge against you. This is almost certainly a hoax - please call the police department right away.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I guess the sad thing about all of this is that I allow unknown people to have this kind of power over me.

But in the end, my gut feeling is that the call was legit. I guess I will just have to show up for the hearing and just be honest.
How could it possibly be legit if they don't even know your name? Absolutely do not even consider showing up anywhere until you've called the police back.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Memberado

I wouldn't go anywhere without a formal letter requesting me to show up for a hearing. That is what the person calling me said I would get in the mail.

How could it possibly be legit if they don't even know your name? Absolutely do not even consider showing up anywhere until you've called the police back.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you will get a letter.

As Scott said, I would call the Police and make them listen to your story about what is happening.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If it would have been the real police, they would have had your name and address before they even called you as they have access to said info immediately available to them.

Please call back the office that supposedly called you and explain the call.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I totally agree with this!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

You have a year of sobriety. So many folk woul give their right arm for that.

It's precious. Protect it.

C