Notices

What Do You All Think?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Do You All Think?

So, I have been needing help, of some sort for some time. Then Saturday happened. I mixed alcohol with klonapin, crashed my car (don't remember any of it) and woke up in my 70 year old neighbors bed. he was naked. Police were involved, a rape kit was ordered. a total and complete mess.

I immediately called a 90-day treatment center, I know I need help.

As the days went on and the car situation has been getting settled and I have been out of work, I have had time to think.

If I go for 90 days, there is no guarantee that I will receive short-term disability from my insurance. I also may not be able to pay for my car, my insurance, my apartment, etc etc. No one wants to watch my dog. and I will NOT give him up--ever.

Then it dawned on me. I can still get help, still keep my job and my pride and stay here--locally. I can go to AA meetings. I already have an addictions / detox doctor with 2 months supply of vivitrol (worth $2,300) that I never showed up for) that I can go to now that I am ready. My insurance covers mental health / psychiatrists / counselors, etc. The AA meetings are literally a mile from my home.

If I stay I can make my life better, rather than running away from it like I have in the past (all too many times).

I have a wonderful gym half a mile away. My family is here and I want to show them that I can do this. I don't want to run away.

Any thoughts?

It isn't that I don't think I need help--I DEFINITELY need help....but if I leave here, things are so uncertain financially and work-wise. and everything else wise.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

make yourself uncomfortable for awhile.

Let God figure it out
Old 01-17-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn't call entering a 90 day treatment center "running away". I'd call it "getting the proper level of help that you likely need and definitely deserve." As Dee says, sometimes our health needs to be the #1 priority in our life, over everything else.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm struggling to find the right words, your last thread regarding this sounded SO horrendous and I'm sure it was, our AV will do anything to stay in it's comfort zone and it is much more difficult to go it alone. I'm not doubting you will do meets or go to the gym, I just know that for myself it's been - yeah I'll do this, and this ooh and this too! It's taken me a year to get to a meet, my gym induction card has probably rotted away at the bottom of the pile...

I guess I'm trying to say how difficult it can be to put things into practice.

Do you need a detox? Could you do outpatients or get some personal counselling for everything?

I just think a bit more would be good for you at the moment even if you can't make the 90 days. Hope that came across as intended and not harsh
Old 01-17-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would never leave my dog either. Try outpatient care, there's quite a few options available. Instead of setting a goal of 90 days, set a goal for today. But set that goal for today every day. If you get withdrawal, definitely come on here and people here will help you through it.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. We alcoholics in general are con artists and we usually believe the BS we think and say in the beginning of sobriety. That is the reason that self honesty about our drinking is so important. I've made so many promises while drinking that I meant and believed which quickly were dismissed and so shame entered the picture and I drank in despair. It was suggested to only concentrate on not drinking and let the other things go because this is life and death.

BE WELL