Notices

Weekender thread! 17-19!!! Stay sober here!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ringing in on Friday eve. It's been rough lately. Everything reminds me of drinking and I have to try to distract myself. Ugh. So, reading a lot of the threads this weekend, esp this one, trying to keep busy, trying to keep my sense of humor and get to the other side of this slump I've been in since Thanksgiving. I'm trying with everything.

Great to see everyone and I'm really pulling for you all! I'll have my eye on you Aly
Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

While I love going out to eat on Friday night with my bf, I must say that it seems like everyone around me is drinking and we always end up sitting close to the bar. Dinner was yum but glad to be home in my jammies, dog next to me on the couch, and checking in on SR. I still get a little buggy about Friday night but waking up Saturday and Sunday morning without a hangover and the whole day ahead of me is SUCH a glorious feeling! I'm looking forward to that Saturday morning cup of coffee already and it is still early Friday evening
Old 01-17-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flying4Life View Post
Sometimes staying sober feels like all I have going for me.
I can so relate to that point right now. I'm struggling with work--feeling valued, connecting with coworkers. I'm grateful for my sobriety and this community--it's like my own personal salvation.

Good luck with your assignments! Hope your evening is relaxing yet productive!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Soberclover, I'm also home in my jammies after dinner out with DH! I sometimes get buggy on Friday nights, too, especially that time right when I first get home from work, but agree that sober weekend mornings are FABULOUS! Enjoy your evening!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Oh, I almost forgot--is anyone reading anything good right now? Or, any movie recommendations?

My DH is reading "Lone Survivor." He's loving it. I just started reading "I'll take Care of You" by Caitlin Rother. It's true crime. So far, so good.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

cathryn, I love true crime. I'll have to check that one out.

Oddly enough I am reading a diary of a saint, The Diary of Faustina. It's pretty fascinating if only for the inner life she experienced. Wow.

I'm also reading a British crime novel by Reginald Hill. Very good.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Aly, I just checked out those books on Amazon. The Diary of Faustina sounds so interesting--I downloaded a sample. I'm looking forward to exploring Reginald Hill's books--he seems pretty prolific. I'm going to mention him to my mom, as well. She likes crime books, too, and, based on some of the book descriptions, I think she would enjoy his work.

Thank you!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Made it thru Friday night!

It wasn't a perfect night but I stayed sober, did some homework, some chores, some pampering, and some writing. Whatever it takes. I know I would feel so horrible tomorrow if I had gotten into the wine. I want to live a better life than I am able to have if I am drinking. I wouldn't have gotten anything done if I had drank by myself tonight and I probably would've drunk dialed/texted/facebooked someone and made an a$$ out of myself. So I guess being sober is good enough even if things did not go perfectly.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'M IN! Six days sober here!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm in. Junky few days back at work, but I have the weekend to recover--booze free. I love knowing that you all are out there, fighting the good fight. I'm with ya.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey morning all ,

have a few parcels due from e-bay so have opened the window to listen for the gate (as the parcel guy sometimes only knocks with one finger i recon) .

A bit damp and a bit quiet out there this morning , i like the way the world sounds when we have "mizzle" (devon word meaning mist and drizzle) .

slurping down some coffee and am going to do some heavy duty liying down and messing about with the x-box or watching old films on u-tube .

Have a nice saturday , m
Old 01-18-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi all- I am on day5 today and I am so glad on reflection that I didn't drink last night- it would have been so easy to do.
In truth, I think Friday night is a tougher challenge than Saturday for me because Friday tends to be a 'post work with friends down the pub' scenario and Sat tends to be just me and my husband.
I feel pleased that today I CAN go to the gym, begin to reboot my metabolism and make the right choices and if I had been drinking ALL my good intentions would have gone down the pan!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Woo hoo! Morning weekenders!

Have a boston butt roasting slow. Just put it in for a six hour run. Then pulled pork goodness awaits! It's just for me so I will probably be bringing it around to folks I know. Or you if you want to swing by!

Going to walk a few miles at the gym. Read and continue on this puzzle I started two weeks ago. I don't work it much but love to lose myself in it every now and then.

How you all doing?

K
Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Ken every time I read your posts I get hungry! Lol
Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

two slices here please ken ,

i think some french beans would be nice topped and tailed to go with it .

m
Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Jessicacat1 View Post
I am so glad on reflection that I didn't drink last night.
Always the truth. I've never woke up thinking, "Dammit, I should have got blackout drunk last night so I could sit around hungover all day!"

I have (unfortunately) woke up many times thinking, "Dammit, when will I learn?" Not today, though!

Enjoy the gym!

Supposed to be cold this morning so I think I will work on my online class today. Just 6 more lessons and I can take the final! I like being a classroom student very much, but I find online courses to be pure drudgery. Looking forward to being done.

There's a pun to be made about stopping by for some of Weasel's Boston Butt, but it's a family forum (of addicts) so I will let it go.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hmmm.... Yes ... Family forum.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Oh for crying out loud!!!

Getting another snow storm today! Not what I expected but since I have a tasty meal brewing... Sorry for the pun on this site... I will squirrel away I think! Have to go get some good bread for this sandwich. Maybe even get out my panini maker and make a pulled pork panini? What ya think?

Old self... Yeah... Now I am being a scooch. Lol
Old 01-18-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Oh for crying out loud!!!

Getting another snow storm today!
Nobody warned you about Maine winters?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

OMG! Has anyone seen the commercial for "amazing arms? I nearly spit my coffee (Starbucks Verona and caramel) out...bat wings in the am, yuck!
I'll take some of weasey's boston butt....I have no kitchen! Weasey I posted a fab recipe for ice cream bread on whiners.... very simple.
I am going to ask my neighbor to boil me some linguini later, I have red pepper pesto and mushrooms.
getting a much needed haircut today, I have very shaggy layers, and the ponytail looks dumb.
Nons, I bought cooked bacon to warm in the microwave...my baby cat keeps stealing it.