Notices

Hangover without drinking

Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hangover without drinking

Hello all. It has been 25 days since my last drink. At first I was having a hard time sleeping, the first week or so. Lately I have been falling asleep and sleeping through the night but I have such a hard time getting out of bed. I hit snooze over and over and always run late. I will feel hungover for the first half hour or so that Im awake then start feeling better. No matter how early or late I go to bed I feel the same. On the weekend if I don't have any reason to get up early I can easily sleep 11-12 hours straight through. I was just wondering who else has experience with this issue.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I still feeling hungover if I have a migraine coming on. Sleep can be very healing, perhaps you are just catching up. x
Old 01-16-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
waking down

I've been wondering about that myself. I'm on day 21, and some nights I sleep well and others maybe four or five hours. Regardless, I seem to wake up feeling mildly hungover. I thought maybe it was dehydration, so I started drinking a couple of pints of water plus herbal tea between dinner and bed (I tend to eat early). No difference except waking up having to pee and not getting back to sleep.

Anyway, I've been months and years waking up this way. Maybe it's some kind of conditioning. When I was drinking my first half hour up I would feel hungover, then the worst of it would usually pass and I would just be tired and achy. At least now the initial feeling passes and I more often than not feel great by 9am.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You might just need the extra sleep right now. You are in the process of healing from the alcohol abuse and your body has to learn how to function properly again. Give yourself some more sober time and see if it gets better. If not, maybe see your doctor.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't have seeming hangovers, but what I have instead is very strange. Nights were always the times when I would let myself go in terms of the booze. In the day, I stayed slightly buzzed and there were period when the kids came home or I did the pickup that I wasn't having a thing. It was the midday hell between being buzzed and feeling hungover.

So I'd have some semi-blackouts at night meaning that I could mostly recall posting something semi-nasty somewhere, sending off a belligerent email, or texting someone. Maybe I wouldn't recall exactly what but I had blackout nights too. A few mornings ago, I was having the same thing happen, I wasn't remembering exactly if I did or didn't do something the night before or I'd ask myself if I really did something or another like finish a mundane task. I don't know. Maybe my brain is somehow simulating the nightly fog it was in for years.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

The sleeping long hours is your body healing itself
As far as the hangover goes, I noticed that if I eat late and a lot of carbs or if I snack on something sweet before bed I often wake up feeling hungover. I recently had the worst sugar hangover after pigging out on chocolate cake before bed time. I woke up dizzy, nauseous and with a throbbing headache and it was just like an alcohol hangover
Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dehydration springs to mind - are you taking in enough fluids?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to describe the first few weeks as like jetlag, having no sleep, dragging myself out of bed and crashing when arriving home from work!!

It passes though, tomorrow I'm off work, so I'll easily sleep 11/12hrs tonight to make up for lost hours during the week, as my sleep still hasn't fully adjusted yet, but its gotten a whole lot better over a few months!!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I knew I had seen this thread somewhere -- thought I should bump it instead of starting a new one.

I feel more jetlagged in the morning now (day 42) than I ever did when I actually crossed time zones. I'll go to bed feeling fine but sometime during the night the jetlag feeling comes on. But I get up on time for work anyway and do my morning things and the feeling passes.

Good to read the tips above.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have this problem, really got to push your self in these early stages
Old 07-17-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 14 and I feel the same sometimes feeling hungover all day
Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Similar here. I am tired as hell in the morning. The stupid dreaming is so intense that I wake up mentally and physically exhausted.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i used to get like it and still can at times when i feel very tired maybe i have done to much in my day i dont know but also it can happen when i do nothing in a day but sit there. i used to play computer games a lot and if i got bored with a game i had nothing to do to fill up my time so i always needed something it helped me while i was out of work and lots of time on my hands but then caused me a bit of a problem when i had to get off it and go to work or do soothing else that meant turning the computer off

but i would end up feeling very tired and drained in the mornings
i had to start to get a routine in my life and stick to it something i was to dam lazy to do and still can be today if i dont watch myself
Old 07-17-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah.. I'm going through the same... Hungover feeling, headache, detached from myself.. Usually passes after a couple of hours.. getting a bit fed up with it.. but then it could be worse1!! 3-4 day hangover if I'd been drinking.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How much sober time does it take for this to go away?