Notices

A sober life is just how it has to be, damn*t!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A sober life is just how it has to be, damn*t!!!

After talking to my sister, who is also my best friend and isn't afraid to tell me like it is, I had some relief come over me. Sobriety is not an option and I just have to accept that. I will live a sober life if I want to live, if I want to find freedom, if I want to be an example for my daughter, if I want my relationship with my husband to improve. I want all of those things!!!

I am strong, I can and will do this!!! I have a toolbox full of tools and I will use them.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anchorbird, I humbly disagree with you completely. Sobriety is 100% a choice and its yours to make. By thinking you are missing out on a better, more fun life with booze and drugs (not sure if you used or not) then you are only making things more difficult for yourself.

Its so hard in very early sobriety to see how much better life is sober. I have had my fair share of challenges but I choose to be sober. I am not forced to be sober bc of who I am. I can easily choose to have a drink. But I don't want a drink bc I know how I will feel.

Do whatever you have to in early sobriety but my take is the white knuckle approach to tough it out is a loosing battle.

Remember how proud your daughter was that you were sober. You posted about it on here - revisit those posts to remind yourself of why you want to be sober and chose to live a sober and more fulfilled and enriched life.

I am glad I am alcoholic and and addict - if not I would never of had this experience of awakening to learn the things I am learning.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

After I committed to staying sober - no ifs ands or buts - after a little while, recovery ceased to be a chore and became where I wanted to be.

I trust you'll find the same anchorbird

D
Old 01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am merely stating that for me, I made the choice to be sober. There are no other options for me, I don't want to not live sober. I am excited about a sober life, although I know at times it won't be easy, I am willing to make it my new life style.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
By thinking you are missing out on a better, more fun life with booze and drugs (not sure if you used or not) then you are only making things more difficult for yourself.
I don't feel this way at all. A sober life is so much better!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
I don't feel this way at all. A sober life is so much better!
Sorry for my misinterpretation. I am glad you are finding your path. I enjoy your posts and wanted to share my experience in this area. Thank you.

I got confused with this comment: Sobriety is not an option and I just have to accept that.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is not option I am making available for myself. I don't want alcohol in my life, end of story for me.

Thanks for your replies, it is so good to know what other people are thinking.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I did a doubletake at first too, Anchorbird, but decided you meant that you have no alternative but sobriety. I think that is an excellent place to start, with your deep knowing that you can never drink, and that you will never drink. BOOYAH!

I came to the same understanding, that I could drink OR I could have a life with my children and spouse, with a job and a home, a life with some joy and beauty in it. I could not do both.

If you are like me, you will wonder why you waited so long! This makes you a total badass, btw. Onward!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Anchorbird I can sense the frustration and junk you are going through, it was the same for me in the beginning too. Just tuff it out, suffer through it. It will all go away with time sober, rootin for ya.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a beautiful rose all the way
from Louisiana.