Notices

Fired!!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fired!!

Just got laid off from my job of 10 1/2 years. I am frozen. My husband just left town for 3 days for work. Why am I being tested like this?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i'm really sorry, must be quite the shock. but it's NOT a test...it's a life event. use all your sober tools and deal with this in an appropriate manner that will still feel good tomorrow.

if you have been laid off, you are eligible for unemployment. i'd be hightailing it there or on the phone pronto.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was offered a severance package, but haven't had a chance to read it. I just walked in the door after packing my office of ten years. Can you take a severance package and file unemployment? My ex-boss said to sign up for unemployment as soon as I got home, but I don't want to negate 8 weeks pay from a severance package.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That would be life. Maybe you need to spend some time with other people for a bit?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And...I have NO DOUBT my disease had a contributing factor in this situation.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And...I have NO DOUBT my disease had a contributing factor in this situation.

^^
I hope this serves as a good reminder why you should stay on the sober path! You can't change what you've done in the past but you can make them sorry they let you go by getting better and better in the future.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear of you losing your job. Back in 2010 I was let go from my job of almost 11 years. It was quite a humbling, life shifting event. I guess sometimes we need to be knocked down in order to get our attention and get back on the right track. It wasn't easy but life did improve and today I consider it a blessing. Good luck
Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry to hear about your job situation--but sometimes things actually happen for the best. Particularly if you are eligible for a severance package and unemployment. why do you think your disease was a contributing factor?
Old 01-16-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Yeah, I got laid off in 2010 and I never saw it coming.
I took it very hard.
Once I got over it, I decided I would go it on my own.
Best thing I ever did.
Except for stopping the booze.

Change is scary, but in my experience it usually works in your favor.
You'll see!!
Keep your chin up...
Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoneStumblin View Post
I was offered a severance package, but haven't had a chance to read it. I just walked in the door after packing my office of ten years. Can you take a severance package and file unemployment? My ex-boss said to sign up for unemployment as soon as I got home, but I don't want to negate 8 weeks pay from a severance package.
Sorry to hear about your job loss. These things happen. Companies do what is best for them, we have to do what is best for us. I would reach out to an attorney just to be sure (or even just ask your HR rep), but having been through this myself with my husband who lost his job, you can file for unemployment and it will not jeapordize your severance package. Hang in there. Perhaps it was time for a change anyway. Read the book "Who Moved My Cheese" it is a good short read.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Something better could be around the corner. It seems like a knock but it could be fate making room for something new. It's hard, but try to be positive xxxx
Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know it does not do much right now but most people who get laid off find they are happier when they look back on the event. Most find they were not fulfilled by their job, which can usually factor into the layoff.

Try to look at the glass half full if you can and maybe use this time to make some changes, work on yourself. The easy thing to do would be to run to the bottle but you know that will not help. Use this time wisely and treat it like a gift.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you lost your job. I agree with those who said to focus on your recovery now. There's a new job around the corner.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry too DS - I hope this might be the start of another chapter for you tho?

D
Old 01-16-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Its the start of a new chapter now, the slate is clean. Dont be too hard on yourself x
Old 01-16-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

When I was laid off my severance didn't effect unemployment payments.

I know it's a big blow but you'll get through it. Life is a roller coaster.

Big hugs.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Stay strong and dont let them get you down. Be positive and another job will be right around the corner.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry about the loss of your job. FYI- it vary's state to state so before you file, check your laws. Some states do consider severance pay to be continued employment and will deny your claim. Check your state laws to make sure you don't endanger any monies due you.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry about your job loss. This happened to me in June (I am working again however) Depending on your state, the severance payment may delay the unemployment until the pay ends. So, if you get 6 weeks of severence, you need to report that, and your unemployment won't start until after those 6 weeks.

It also depends upon how your company reports the payment. In my case, I was given a lump sum with my last paycheck. Since it was given to me with my last check, and they didn't "report" it as severance, I was able to keep it, and start receiving my unemployment right away. I live in Ohio. I called the Unemployment office to verify since I didn't want to get stuck paying any money back. If they had reported it as a separate W-2 item, I probably would have had to wait.

Good luck. Stay sober