Notices

Blending/Juicing

Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blending/Juicing

I broke down a few days ago and bought a Blendtec blender. I have been making whole juice/smoothies and have been drinking them for breakfast and lunch and I am feeling so much better. I have been putting spinach, kale, cilantro, and other nutritious fruits and veggies in them. I feel that since I am going to be sober I owe myself the most nutritious fruits and veggies to replenish what was missing while drinking, and to take my fitness to the next level.

Give it a try for a few days and you will feel the difference.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad that's helping you.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a load of friends who are blending / juicing advocates. I myself have been working on ways to make shifts in my nutrition to help offset and repair the years of negative impact alcohol has no doubt had. I think juicing is my next step. Have really enjoyed vegetable and fruit juice blends as a way to start my day and it seems I really do notice a difference in my mood and energy.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you, I am also trying to implement a better diet and to drink pure water.

Have done a little juicing but may start doing some more. Thanks for the good reminder.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ive always wanted to get one but my friends tell me you need to have LOADS of fruit/veg just to get one glass of smoothie/juice. How are you finding it with the quantities you need?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Give this one a try...

1 cup fat free milk
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1 cup frozen mixed berries
2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter

560 calories - 20g fat, 67g carbs, 25g protein
Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeepa View Post
Ive always wanted to get one but my friends tell me you need to have LOADS of fruit/veg just to get one glass of smoothie/juice. How are you finding it with the quantities you need?
The juicers require lots of fruit/ veggies. My juicer needs 1 beet, 1 orange, 1 apple, 1 lime to make 16 ounces...Great for the liver by the way!!

The blenders don't need much. Both have their advantages. I use the Vitamix blender (similar to the Blendtec) for Smoothies, and the Breville Juicer for Juice.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a Vitamix and do green smooties sometimes too. One I call a "Kale Mary", lol. It has some tomatoes and kale, obviously, lime, lemon, a bit of apple or pineapple, carrot, celery, cucumber, and dash of tobasco, cilantro.

Ginger is nice in them as well and has many health benefits.

Zeepa, if you make smoothies, you use th ewhole fruit or veggie, so there is not any waste. You are blending in the fiber, as opposed to juice extractors, where you get only juice and throw away the solids.

I should get back into it, but hard when it is cold outside. I use all the same stuff and make veggie soups. Same food, but hot!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is also usually best to use more veggies and less fruit in any recipe you make. Try for a 3-1 mix or even 4-1.

You don't want to spike your blood sugar or insulin too much.

If you do not have a juicer yet, romaine is easy to juice along with some berries or a banana and some almond milk or yogurt, I like to use plain yogurt) and a little stevia or tiny bit of raw honey for sweetness if you need to.

Here are a few more to get you started:

6 leaves of romaine
2 ribs of celery
1 apple

1 cup of pineapple
1 cup of grapes
handful of strawberries

Experiment and have fun!

If we can give as much into eating healthy as we did in drinking surely we'll be on a path to well again.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I bought a nutribullet a couple of months ago. I do fruit in the morning and vegetables in the evening. I've never felt better. Completely hooked!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeepa View Post
You dont need as much as you think. You can put in a couple of bananas, some strawberries, and a generous portion of spinach and some water and get about a quart. You may also want to try frozen fruits. Costco has very large bags of organic strawberries or mixed berries (blackberries, and blueberries) for a reasonable cost.

I guarantee you one thing, even if you buy fresh fruits and veggies it will cost considerably less than you probably spent on alcohol.