Notices

I'm finally starting to be me

Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I'm finally starting to be me

So here we are, 20 months sober today and I finally feel like I am genuinely becoming my real self for the first time in my life. I'm 37 and have finally shed enough layers of fake defense costumes and personas that I am learning what makes me happy and fulfilled. After working in a field that I do not enjoy but is easy and comfortable for me I have gone back to college to study psychology. I'm more disciplined, my critical thinking skills are re-developing and my mind is working in ways that I have never experienced before. I have separated from old toxic "friendships" and have reclaimed my individuality. I am no longer ashamed of being "different" than those around me. And the years of silly guilt that I felt from my effed up family no longer seem real to me. I am so glad that I went through all of those years of hell to become who I am today. And I look forward to seeing who I am in another 37 years.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 20 months sober today, SweatyHands, you're doing a fantastic job.
You are a shining light of example to myself and others, who is going through so many emotions at the moment and thought it would all be ok once I was sober.

It is good to know it doesn't all happen in a day, I know patience is a virtue I have to hold on to and learn to live my life sober.

Once again, congratulations and thankyou
Old 01-15-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am proud of you! I felt the exact same way after I stopped drinking. Months went by and then I "woke up" to realize I was in a crap job and just making it through life. So I went back to school and now I am in my last semester and will have my bachelor's degree! It seems so long ago, but I remember those foggy months of coming to myself! Keep going my friend!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
So here we are, 20 months sober today and I finally feel like I am genuinely becoming my real self for the first time in my life. I'm 37 and have finally shed enough layers of fake defense costumes and personas that I am learning what makes me happy and fulfilled. After working in a field that I do not enjoy but is easy and comfortable for me I have gone back to college to study psychology. I'm more disciplined, my critical thinking skills are re-developing and my mind is working in ways that I have never experienced before. I have separated from old toxic "friendships" and have reclaimed my individuality. I am no longer ashamed of being "different" than those around me. And the years of silly guilt that I felt from my effed up family no longer seem real to me. I am so glad that I went through all of those years of hell to become who I am today. And I look forward to seeing who I am in another 37 years.
Well Done Sweatyhands ,
I have done exactly the same as you regarding family and Toxic people round me. I wish you all the best with your Studies, and a person like yourself (US) are more qualified to offer fantastic help.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on twenty months sober!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 20 months

D
Old 01-16-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good going! You are a brilliant example for the forum!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great great post! It's never to late to become the person you were suppose to be
Congrats on 20 months!!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congratulations. Very inspiring x
Old 01-16-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome, thanks for sharing
Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety and in feeling more comfortable in your own skin!!! Both are significant achievements!!!! Congrats.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

this is a fantastic, inspirational post.

thank you for sharing. Congratulations on 20 months...

how are the hands??

Old 01-16-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 20 months, that's amazing. And you have a great attitude about sobriety - I loved your post.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post,thanks for the inspiration.