SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just had a boatload of alcohol delivered to my house (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/319634-just-had-boatload-alcohol-delivered-my-house.html)

ArcticSA 01-15-2014 04:47 PM

Just had a boatload of alcohol delivered to my house

My sis-in-law just came over with "presents" Their Dad is a recovering alchy and he is house sitting for a week.
So I just had piled into my fridge:
12 pack of beer
wine
huge jug of homemade hooch
4 pack of hard cider
vodka
other assorted liquor

I asked hubby to put it in the garage but he said it will freeze.
He doesnt care that im tempted.
Im almost ready to cry. This is too much.
One of the wines is already opened and its my favorite.

I am shaking.

caboblanco 01-15-2014 04:50 PM

go to a friends house for a while maybe..just for now?

Dee74 01-15-2014 04:50 PM

I'm sorry that your family is not very supportive Arctic.

They might not understand - but you do - and we do too - keep leaning on us & whatever other support you have

We live in a world awash with alcohol - it doesn't mean we have to drink it :)

D

KateL 01-15-2014 04:54 PM

Can't you put it in a cupobard out of sight somewhere?

Leana 01-15-2014 04:54 PM

Put it in the basement? Ask a friend to take it. Put it in the garage and who cares if it freezes. At least pour the open bottle of wine you like down the drain.

JustMeg 01-15-2014 04:57 PM

Arctic, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult day and I feel for you. I'm also glad that you've come here to talk it through instead of picking up. As always, Dee makes a good point - they can't make you take that first drink, you have it in you to say no. Best to you, Meg
Ps...putting it away out of sight sounds like a plan

Anna 01-15-2014 04:59 PM

Stay focused on what you know is the right thing to do.

I hope you can make a boundary regarding this alcohol that works for you.

ArcticSA 01-15-2014 05:03 PM

Im so pissed. Im gonna dump the wine and put the rest in the spidery nasty crawl space when hubby is gone tomorrow.

autan 01-15-2014 05:05 PM

You explain to them that you are aware that their Father is a Recovering Alcoholic and so are you, you are doing so well.

Kris47 01-15-2014 05:12 PM

Just don't do something you'll regret later.

I'm voting for you!

Hang in there, Artic.

Hawk07 01-15-2014 05:14 PM

I'm so sorry Arctic, clearly they don't understand what this hell is... I can't even imagine how I'd deal with that.. I admire you for being able to post this... please continue to stay strong. I'm back on day 2 and will be tinkering on here all night. Hope to hear an update soon

LadyinBC 01-15-2014 05:15 PM

I'm such a %*&* that I probably would have taken it all and dumped it down the drain. But that is me :D.

silentrun 01-15-2014 05:20 PM

That would be too much for me to handle Artic. It would have to leave the house one way or another. If they brought it to your house they can bring it somewhere else. It's not too much for you to ask. Some people can handle having it in the house. I can't. It would whisper to me until I either drank it or dumped it.

foolsgold66 01-15-2014 05:28 PM

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. You can, though.

ArcticSA 01-15-2014 05:36 PM

Just dumped the wine. That is the most tempting. I really hate Pabst and hard stuff. Just going to bed early tonight and will hide the rest tomorrow.
Ugh. I cant believe it still makes me drool like this.
Its like an old lover walking in the room and flashing you their most charming dashing smile and you cant help but swoon, but the you think "wait..theres a reason I broke up with them, stay strong!"

nicole100 01-15-2014 05:41 PM

Arctic, you did the right thing. I'm just confused--did they bring it for their dad who is a recovering alcoholic? If so, why? hmmmm. well, good for you!!!! :)

FreeOwl 01-15-2014 05:50 PM

here's what I'm confused about; why the hell didn't you say "find somewhere else to put it. I don't want it in my house. This is MY house. I am in recovery and nothing is more important to me than my sobriety."

?????

ClearLight 01-15-2014 05:56 PM

Yeah - I would have dumped the wine for sure.

The other stuff - hide it or dump that too.

I probably would have dumped everything. That way they'll know they can't trust me with alcohol - even if I don't drink it.

foolsgold66 01-15-2014 05:57 PM

Good job Artic. Going to bed early never hurt anybody.

Kris47 01-15-2014 05:57 PM

Just stay strong.

(((Artic)))