Notices

Just had a boatload of alcohol delivered to my house

Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Stay away! Remember the withdrawal period. I had a close call today too (big fight with the husband). I almost ran to the store to drink the pain away. Then I remembered how scared I was that every little symptom I felt was going to result in DTs and all of that.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
here's what I'm confused about; why the hell didn't you say "find somewhere else to put it. I don't want it in my house. This is MY house. I am in recovery and nothing is more important to me than my sobriety."

?????
F-I-L is staying at my sis in laws house for a week so she didnt want it there to tempt him. It was just a last minute thing before she left on vacay and thy live close by and she knows we wouldve appreciated it...8 days ago!

Noone knows I have a problem except a far away friend and peeps on here.
I just didnt have the guts to speak up....
Old 01-15-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Maybe re-read your post about your fear of withdrawal seizures. When I feel tempted sometimes I read the scariest and most sobering (no pun intending) stuff on here.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You're so strong arctic. You can do it, you don't want that poison.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

why can't she just leave the hard liquor in the car..you probably would never see it and that stuff isn't going to freeze
Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
F-I-L is staying at my sis in laws house for a week so she didnt want it there to tempt him. It was just a last minute thing before she left on vacay and thy live close by and she knows we wouldve appreciated it...8 days ago!

ahhh.... tough going; trying to live sober in secret. Sorry.

Don't drink, it's definitely not worth it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Put it wherever you need to. They can worry about sour beer or whatever effects occur from poor storage.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Artic, I'm so sorry you're in that situation, but you're stronger than the temptation. Good for you for pouring out that wine, and for posting right away. We're with you. You go to bed and sleep well knowing that you made it through another day.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, I'd say especially early in recovery as you are but even now that would be hard for me. I would put it out of sight somewhere if possible.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's really tough. Bravo on not succumbing.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Pabst is super gross and cheap. I say throw it in the trash. The vodka isn't going to freeze dude, it's vodka. Just throw that crap in the garage and lock that crap up.

If you have any doubts or thoughts, just re-read that really sad article about that 35 year old lady with jaundice that is lying sick in a nursing facility dying of liver failure with her poor husband by her side.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Arctic, good on you. Really annoyed at your husband's lack of support. Does your SIL know it's put you in this difficult position? If not, are you up for telling her?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wow. You have my sympathy. I struggle with a drinking spouse, but we only have his beer in a fridge in the basement. I don't have to look at it unless I go down there.

Vodka is meant to be kept in a freezer, right? In my martini phase, I kept my vodka in the freezer. Hard liquor is not harmed by cold temps. The beer is cheap. Dump it, if nobody will drink it anytime soon.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I've been sober since Jan 8th 2014 too. I have a alcoholic father that lives with me and continues to drink. Hard crappy brown Liquor. I have tried AA many times. What I find helps me this last week is taking a shower before bed and reading the big book. I watched Bills story with james woods the other night and felt a great appreciation for AA. I want to use everything out there this time around with no judgements. Hypnosis tapes on you tube, Big Book, smart recovery. If i continue on the path Im on I will not make it to 73 like my pop. Thanks for your post I'ts my first share in a long long time. I feel better for doing it. Hope you do too. PS Put the liquor in a BROWN PAPER GARBAGE BAG. Thats where it all belongs anyway.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

This alcohol is not remotely precious or worth saving.

Especially at the expense of your sobriety.

Especially at the expense of your life.

Do whatever it takes to get past this. If necessary, pitch it and don't look back.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post

So your SIL assumes you would drink it not knowing what's really happening? In that case bin the lot and tell her after ploughing through all that my body needs a break so it's a sober me from now on
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

good on you Artic-be proud of yourself
Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Well done Arctic ..going to bed is the best thing. Stay here and talk to us .
Perhaps if you just spoke to your husband and asked him to remove it as you are trying so hard to give it up and could he support you .

The first month is so testing , but you can do this xx
Old 01-16-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Arctic, good on you. Really annoyed at your husband's lack of support. Does your SIL know it's put you in this difficult position? If not, are you up for telling her?
She doesn't have a clue, and she is so sweet, really. She thought she was doing us a huge favor! :O
It's gonna have to come out sooner or later I guess...
It just hasn't happened because there hasn't been any get togethers, but boy it would've been handy if she would've known.
Just got back form stashing all of the stuff in the crawlspace. VERY unpleasant and I won't be crouching/walking through those cobwebs again!
All that's left is crappy beer and hubby will drink that.
Disaster averted!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great idea hiding it somewhere you don't like to frequent xxxxx