Notices

Our Pancreas - what can happen

Old 01-15-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Our Pancreas - what can happen

Hey everyone, I wanted to share this video clip about what can happen to your pancreas after drinking too much, too often for too long(acute pancreatitis)

What happened in this video happened to me, then happened again when I relapsed last time. The only difference is Duff (the guy in the video) isnt on dialysis and I will be for at least 6 more months.

Most people know about the effects on the liver and stuff, but not that many know about the effects of drinking on the pancreas.

Not trying to scare everyone but hopefully this will help more people stay sober for longer

Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a great video, because it's not a doctor or government health advert, it was one of the videos I came across when searching google for health problems caused by alcohol.

Because I had seen a band he had played in, Velvet Revolver, a few years back in Dublin, and I listen all the time to Guns n Roses, I could relate a lot more to it!!

My other inspiration from the music world is Eric Clapton, I read his autobiography a few Christmases ago, and that was at the time of wrestling with the idea that I may have a problem, having seen him in concert a few times since reading it, it helped to be able to get over that initial fear that most people have, "how can I live without alcohol?"!! . . . "Well if Eric can do it, and get on stage every night, I can man up and get Sober"

Sadly so many musicians though didn't make it through addiction, but their stories can be powerful!!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I found the video a while back after just searching for Guns n Roses videos on youtube
Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Zeapa , i love this video ;-)

Thanks very much , what a great story .

I had no idea that the pancreas and dialysis were linked . I thought it was only the kidneys .

It's amazing how the body heals once we stop and stay stopped .

Thanks for sharing :-)

Xx
Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great video.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Zeapa , i love this video ;-)

Thanks very much , what a great story .

I had no idea that the pancreas and dialysis were linked . I thought it was only the kidneys .

It's amazing how the body heals once we stop and stay stopped .

Thanks for sharing :-)

Xx

When I had it, it caused kidney failure and I needed blood cleansing which is why I have dialysis, its either that or a kidney transplant. Not fun
Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't even realize Clapton was in recovery.... I'ma have to get that book.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Apparently Clapton and Ozzy were in the same recovery center at one point.
Imagine that....
Thanks for this info.
I was getting worried because I started feeling sharp pains in the pancreatic area not too long ago.
Since I stopped drinking it is gone.
Coincidence?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I didn't even realize Clapton was in recovery.... I'ma have to get that book.
Yeah he's going on 30yrs from memory, apparently he attends AA meetings in London when at home or around the world on tour, that'd certaintly be weird if Eric Clapton just turned up and walked into your local meeting!!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find this very inspiring. Thanks for sharing, I have not seen before.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeepa View Post
When I had it, it caused kidney failure and I needed blood cleansing which is why I have dialysis, its either that or a kidney transplant. Not fun
Do you get a choice Zeepa ? Thanks for sharing xx
Old 01-17-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Do you get a choice Zeepa ? Thanks for sharing xx
Nope, it was the doctors decision. Transplant was their absolute last choice and they'd rather try everything else first
Old 01-17-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Fantastic video.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Zeepa, will you escape the need for further procedures should you complete the dialysis? Also, what other changes have you made so far to adjust to sobriety?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It depends on the level of kidney function that has returned, I have regular checks that are going well so far. My liver enzymes were also really high but the function was ok, and the numbers are slowly returning to normal. The main thing for me is a good exercise regimen to keep the endorphins flowing and a big diet change. There are many things I simply cant eat now because I also developed severe stomach ulcers that needed surgery too. Coming on here has helped hugely too, but the thing that helps me most is that I am not even tempted by drinking now. Before, I could remember the seduction of drink. Now I just remember the last 2/3 months which were just agony.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are doing better Zeepa . I love this thread ...I've looked at other videos connected to the one you posted .

I really enjoyed his interview with Dr Phil . He is so honest and has come so far ..i watched the whole thing ...

This interested me in particular as I have a fatty pancreas , i need to go back for another ultrasound to make sure there is no scarring ..same as my fatty liver .

Honestly learn something new here every day ;-) thanks xx
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks

I think scarring of the liver happens after at least the hepatitis stage of liver damage. If you are at the fatty liver stage that is completely reversible im told.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Everyone should see this thing, it should be in the rules for signing up!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Zeepa. I am battling a host of GI issues, and have so far dodged pancreas issues (although I have my doubts that I have avoided them because my pancreas was not visible on my last cat scan due to gas in my abdomen due to gastritis).

Anyway, I was heading in this direction, and I am hopeful I have dodged the bullet by quitting this month . . . I will know more as I begin seeing a new GI doc in a few weeks, and will ask him to look at my pancreas given the fact I abused alcohol for over twenty years before quitting.

I will say (in case anyone is reading who is nervous about the impact of drinking on their GI tract) that I am feeling much better even after a few weeks. My GERD is much better, less pain in my liver area, and I no longer have explosive diarrhea (these also being signs of potential pancreas problems which is why I am seeking additional medical opinions).

So, let me add one more voice stating that you should quit abusing alcohol, particularly, if you're body is starting to show signs of damage.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jra55 View Post
Thanks for posting Zeepa. I am battling a host of GI issues, and have so far dodged pancreas issues (although I have my doubts that I have avoided them because my pancreas was not visible on my last cat scan due to gas in my abdomen due to gastritis).

Anyway, I was heading in this direction, and I am hopeful I have dodged the bullet by quitting this month . . . I will know more as I begin seeing a new GI doc in a few weeks, and will ask him to look at my pancreas given the fact I abused alcohol for over twenty years before quitting.

I will say (in case anyone is reading who is nervous about the impact of drinking on their GI tract) that I am feeling much better even after a few weeks. My GERD is much better, less pain in my liver area, and I no longer have explosive diarrhea (these also being signs of potential pancreas problems which is why I am seeking additional medical opinions).

So, let me add one more voice stating that you should quit abusing alcohol, particularly, if you're body is starting to show signs of damage.

My GERD is better too. Did you get stomach ulcers too?