Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Slightly weird one - ENFP looking for a sober buddy or general advice

Notices

Slightly weird one - ENFP looking for a sober buddy or general advice

Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Rationalising addiction will only go so far though. There's no avoiding the need for action if you wish to do something about your drinking. I don't wish to judge your approach - we all walk out own paths - but the OP does read a bit as if you are rationalising away the lack of effectiveness of the attempts you have made so far. There's a strong argument to be made that most methods work if we commit ourselves strongly enough to them and act upon that commitment.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

There was a thread recently that discussed the Myers Briggs/Jungian test. My take was that a lot of people who posted found that they tested differently after they got sober. IMO that would make sense because a lot of times I found I used alcohol to blur the edges of situations that made me uncomfortable. I had always classified myself as an extrovert…sober…lo and behold an introvert was unearthed.

I think any personality test I took when I was stilled drinking would have likely had skewed results because I was not being authentic (my results would have likely been …"skewed while stewed..").
Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
There was a thread recently that discussed the Myers Briggs/Jungian test. My take was that a lot of people who posted found that they tested differently after they got sober. IMO that would make sense because a lot of times I found I used alcohol to blur the edges of situations that made me uncomfortable. I had always classified myself as an extrovert…sober…lo and behold an introvert was unearthed.

I think any personality test I took when I was stilled drinking would have likely had skewed results because I was not being authentic (my results would have likely been …"skewed while stewed..").
That is incredibly interesting, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true for me. I was definitely an E as a young child but had some real challenges as a young teen and became an I. Alcohol made me an E again. It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Getting to grips with the fact that I might be an I might be a really useful thing to know on this journey, and making peace with being an I might be a real challenge. Armed with knowledge though, eh? Thanks!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Funny enough I've always been an INTJ on the test, I first did it back in school, then at a job training course ages ago, and then just this evening again when this thread appeared!! . . . must be I'm pretty set in my ways!!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
Rationalising addiction will only go so far though. There's no avoiding the need for action if you wish to do something about your drinking. I don't wish to judge your approach - we all walk out own paths - but the OP does read a bit as if you are rationalising away the lack of effectiveness of the attempts you have made so far. There's a strong argument to be made that most methods work if we commit ourselves strongly enough to them and act upon that commitment.
I entirely agree. I also could have worded the OP better. I'm trying to use traditional methods - which I have a lot of respect for - but to fine tune them to me, which I guess is what most people do at the end of the day. When I quit drinking before I felt like a complete stranger in my own head, and it was not a happy experience. I need to find a way to balance that out, and that's what I'm looking for help with I guess.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Funny enough I've always been an INTJ on the test, I first did it back in school, then at a job training course ages ago, and then just this evening again when this thread appeared!! . . . must be I'm pretty set in my ways!!
The test definitely has limitations in that it doesn't have much of a concern for gradients. I'm not a capital E, that's for sure. I can recognise an ENFP in me when I look back over my life, with some queries about whether I am genuinely an E or a closet I, but I've been lots of different versions of that general type over the years. I changed whilst doing my PhD to be a lot more rational, but at the heart of it all my studies were provoked by me getting random ideas and feelings about things. My goal is to eradicate alcohol from my personal value system, because - I guess like everyone at my stage (day one) - I am elevating its importance in my life.

DH is an ESTJ, and I've often wished I could have a day in his skin so that I could apply some good hard logic to the world, lol.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Unique... hmmm... *disclamer, ramblins!

Well, I am unique and different. So there! I know, that's somehow a "bad" thing... But, I like it. Nobody is exactly the same. Some people have an easier time conforming to the "status quo"- to others, that conformity is spiritually terminal. (I've been pondering this, can you tell? ;-))

Know thyself! Do what works for you as an individual, even if that means being part of a group... or not, don't care- whatever works! So many roads can lead to the same place. When one doesn't work, you move on to the next and the next. After all the trying, if you don't give up- it'll stick. It HAS to!! Are there easier ways? Maybe. It depends on the person. We're all different. :-)

Getting sober really doesn't happen overnight. We go through stages. Some of these stages are pretty common, but each individual experiences them differently. There's growth involved. If it were as easy as just NOT drinking, we wouldn't be here I guess. Too bad there isn't a one size fits all! That would be awesome.

Sometimes I think people who are further along in their recovery, forget the time and change involved in getting there. I know they want others to "get it", out of caring. But you can't get it all at once. There's some value in going through it for yourself.

The one and only absolute way to fail at recovery, is to keep drinking. That's all I know.
If whatever your doing right now isn't working, it's time to try something else. Onward!

I think the answer is to just keep trying and trying. Or, 42. ;-)
Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The basis of the Myers Briggs personality test which gives you your type, (in your case ENFP) is the work of Carl Jung. Here is the letter he wrote to Bill Wilson, a founder of AA. Note his reference to rationality, and the three paths. (click the letter once to enlarge it) http://www.barefootsworld.net/images/jung_letter.jpg

I'm an INFJ so I cannot relate specifically how your 'type' might relate to your path, though I suspect that it will somehow involve one of the three routes outlined in the letter.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
Unique... hmmm... *disclamer, ramblins!

Well, I am unique and different. So there! I know, that's somehow a "bad" thing... But, I like it. Nobody is exactly the same. Some people have an easier time conforming to the "status quo"- to others, that conformity is spiritually terminal. (I've been pondering this, can you tell? ;-))

Know thyself! Do what works for you as an individual, even if that means being part of a group... or not, don't care- whatever works! So many roads can lead to the same place. When one doesn't work, you move on to the next and the next. After all the trying, if you don't give up- it'll stick. It HAS to!! Are there easier ways? Maybe. It depends on the person. We're all different. :-)

Getting sober really doesn't happen overnight. We go through stages. Some of these stages are pretty common, but each individual experiences them differently. There's growth involved. If it were as easy as just NOT drinking, we wouldn't be here I guess. Too bad there isn't a one size fits all! That would be awesome.

Sometimes I think people who are further along in their recovery, forget the time and change involved in getting there. I know they want others to "get it", out of caring. But you can't get it all at once. There's some value in going through it for yourself.

The one and only absolute way to fail at recovery, is to keep drinking. That's all I know.
If whatever your doing right now isn't working, it's time to try something else. Onward!

I think the answer is to just keep trying and trying. Or, 42. ;-)
Damnit, 42! Panic not.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi Cantos. Here is something I wrote in these pages a year and a half ago.
I just did a quick online MBTI quiz, and came out ENFP, with only slight leanings to E, F and P, and moderate N. I don't fully understand what the implication might be, other than we are not all that different, Obladi, at least in this sense.

Are we each of us unique? Absolutely. I hope that it isn't a terminal condition.
That comes from a thread in the Secular Connections forum you can read too. it was titled 'Personality Type and Recovery'. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3627545

I most certainly did as you suggested, I eliminated alcohol consumption from my personal value system. I made it immoral for me to ever drink again. Feel free to PM, it's a cool topic.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
The basis of the Myers Briggs personality test which gives you your type, (in your case ENFP) is the work of Carl Jung. Here is the letter he wrote to Bill Wilson, a founder of AA. Note his reference to rationality, and the three paths. (click the letter once to enlarge it) http://www.barefootsworld.net/images/jung_letter.jpg

I'm an INFJ so I cannot relate specifically how your 'type' might relate to your path, though I suspect that it will somehow involve one of the three routes outlined in the letter.
That is an incredibly helpful link. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi Cantos,

I'm quite familiar with personality theories, including Jungian psychology and Myers Briggs. MB is not my favorite and is not what I consider most helpful for personal development and problem solving, probably more useful for some employers' team building efforts (where it's being used quite heavily, especially in the corporate world). Here is another one I love and have found very helpful for both self-improvement and understanding of others, if you don't know it yet:
How the Enneagram Personality System Works

On MB I've always tested INTP/J (not very strong preference in the last dimension, so that alternates for me based on test or time of testing). But yeah it is often said that unhealthy mental states can change the result as we lose a sense of ourselves.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I feel like I've just done a degree
Old 01-15-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hi Cantos,

I'm quite familiar with personality theories, including Jungian psychology and Myers Briggs. MB is not my favorite and is not what I consider most helpful for personal development and problem solving, probably more useful for some employers' team building efforts (where it's being used quite heavily, especially in the corporate world). Here is another one I love and have found very helpful for both self-improvement and understanding of others, if you don't know it yet:
How the Enneagram Personality System Works
That looks like an interesting line of inquiry. It's gone midnight here in the UK, so I'll tackle it in the morning. But from looking at it it looks like the gradients are much more useful than Jung. So many of the questions are really challenging (eg - 'I need to be impressive to others' - define "impressive" and "others", lol), which I guess is a fundamental flaw in all of these types of tests.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Kate, I do these things as a job so yeah... (even though my actual degrees were not in these immediate areas, but I made slight career shifts to get where I wanted to be). Not personality theory in classic psych ways, but research where studying biological patterns of behavior are central. It's fun and interesting, just like any profession can be fun and interesting.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I hope you feel Hopeful tonight, Cantos.
That is where I think I won out.
I always had HOPE.
Goodnight.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Cantos - look into it in more detail if you are interested, take your time and we can discuss if you would like.
Have a good night
Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

My PhD was in Medieval Linguistics, of all things; but during that process I learned the value of applying theories to abstract concepts in order to make sense of them. I find alcohol something completely impossible to understand, so theories are useful in this regard.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hollyanne View Post
I hope you feel Hopeful tonight, Cantos.
That is where I think I won out.
I always had HOPE.
Goodnight.
Hopeful, yes: definitely. Night night everyone, and thanks for your time :-)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I am an ENFP and never really considered my personality type as it relates to my drinking. I can say, however, that I have never thought of drinking as an essential part of my personality that I simply can't change. It was more like I just really liked to drink, and was pissed that I knew I needed to stop. In short, I don't know that being an ENFP means there is no hope. Coming to SR will likely expand your mind as to ways to think about your problem and how to use your personality to solve it. For me, right now, it is my happy, optimistic disposition to cheerlead myself into stringing together the days...