Notices

Success in moderation?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think only you know how you are and what you are capable of and most of the time for alcoholics, moderate drinking does not work. It might work for a few days to two weeks but I would say within a few days, you are back in a nightmare of addiction. You are only kidding yourself if you even think it.

I think there is a gray area for people who aren't alcoholics but aren't following the moderate standards though that need to seriously check their drinking. I just read an article that stated that 45-50 percent of American's drink too much... Are all of those people Alcoholics necessarily? I guess we don't really know right? A lot of Americans need to understand moderate drinking is really small amount, like no more than 2 drinks for guys and I think only 1 drink for women. Obviously during football games or a night out, I'm sure people might drink more than 2 beers drinking one social setting and whatnot. They don't realize that they are drinking too much for their health.

Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox on that one! sorry!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If you've sought out a sober recovery forum and put the effort into writing a post about moderation, chances are you're an alcoholic.

I tried to moderate my drinking for almost 12 years. I'd limit the number of drinks, switch types of drinks, and sometimes take a month or so off, then try again. Sometimes it worked, but when it didn't, it really, really didn't.

People who don't have trouble with alcohol don't have to try to moderate their drinking; they just do it.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't know if moderation is possible for me, but I am certain that it is pointless. Who wants to have 2 drinks?!?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I tried many times in many ways and nothing ever worked but quitting for good.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"Moderating is like being on death row and getting a stay of execution. The suffering continues and the result is inevitable." I really like this.

I never tried to moderate because I didn't see the point. When I relapsed in August I didn't entertain the thought of "just one beer." I bought a 6 pack and rapidly moved to buying 12 packs (so I guess that I "moderated" at first with the 6 pack - a little gallows humor). So nope. Haven't experimented in moderation and don't intend to try.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Asking for experience in moderation success in this forum is like a guy trying to get a date at a lesbian bar
Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was merely wondering if it ever worked for anyone. I know it would never work for me so I wasn't posting the topic thinking it would. Since joining this forum, I've read many posts about moderation and such so thought I would throw it out there and see if it ever actually worked and what people's experiences were with it. That is all.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I actually did pretty successfully moderate my drinking this summer. I did not drink on the weekdays and I limited myself to only 2-3 drinks on any weekend night and . . . I was miserable. I did more white knuckling working on moderating than I ever have had to do in 109 days of sobriety! And the 2-3 drinks only left me pining for more. My weeks became countdown to drinking. What a waste! What a nightmare! What a PITA! And for what? An expensive, relatively foul tasting, poisonous liquid drug filled with empty sugar calories.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoneStumblin View Post
I was merely wondering if it ever worked for anyone. I know it would never work for me so I wasn't posting the topic thinking it would. Since joining this forum, I've read many posts about moderation and such so thought I would throw it out there and see if it ever actually worked and what people's experiences were with it. That is all.
I was just joking around stumbling. there are studies done on the subject even by the government.. i believe a google search would find them
Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Not for me, it's all or nothing. I understand this about me now.

So now it's all in the direction of a healthy life.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Like most drunks, I have tried moderation many times, and never worked. I'll pick up a six pack thinking I'll drag that out for a couple of days. Within a week, it was an 18 pack and a pint of vodka and I was off to the races. Never works. Besides, trying to moderate is a lot of work and very frustrating. It's a whole lot easier to just not start in the first place.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I could never moderate for too long... say a day or two... then it was right back at it.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi DoneStumblin. As a career drinker I'll chime in too. I once quit for 3 years. Not a drop in all that time. I decided I would have 'a glass' of wine while on a date. That night I drank 5 glasses of wine. Drank again the next day. Continued drinking for 7 years - and this time very bad things happened. It was hell to regain my sobriety.

Glad you are with us DS.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was once sober for two years. When I started drinking again- I actually moderated really well for a while. But, it was A LOT OF WORK! Like, WAAAAAY more work than it would be for a "normal" person. But I did it... for a little bit- until I didn't! lol

I give up, I can't try it any more. It only ends in tears.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

No.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I can't drink in moderation because my goal is simply to get drunk and then stay drunk.