Notices

Roller coaster of emotions

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mr B

Roller coaster of emotions

It's been a pretty good week so far! But it seems when I start to feel or am happy my emotions start to run wild! I get down on myself or start thinking about the past and I get down on myself!

I know we can't live in the past because if we do nothing good will come of if! I've been going to meetings and treatment but I just can't help but think of the past! This really gets to me at times!

When this does happen I go to meeting or surround myself with family to get out of that funk! However I'm scared that if this continues then I'll start to isolate myself again and nothing positive ever comes from that!

Thanks for listening!!!

DBJ
Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The past is just that...the past. We are all human, we all make mistakes. I am by far not proud of my past and things I've done as a result of my addiction.

Try to stay focused on today and what your sober future life will bring. What you are doing for yourself right now, in this moment, is life changing and will make for so many awesome memories.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey dbj, the beginning is not always all that comfortable emotionally. There are so many ups and downs emotionally it can be quite overwhelming. Part of this is your neurological system healing and part of it is you haven't felt true unaltered emotions while drinking. Just be patient with yourself and give yourself time. There's usually a phase following this that's an emotional plateau filled with a whole lot of apathetic thinking. Once you get past that things will even out!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This may sound silly to you but, Life is what your thoughts are, THINK HAPPY.

We all have a past. We have to work on the future. You seem to be doing well. Just try and push those negative thoughts aside. Go for a walk, write a gratitude list, call a friend, help an elderly person, do what makes you feel good today.

Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become.

Kris
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi dbj welcome to sr. We can live in the past but like you say nothing good will come of bit and we won't be able to move in.
I speak for myself and I have so many regrets but and it is a big but I cannot change them because they're in my past. That is where they will stay and I will look forward and only learn from my past so I so not become that drunk I once was.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sorry for spelling mistakes on iphone at work x
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When my mind starts racing about the past or the future and I start to get that anxious feeling, I try to remember to do one of these things: 1) pray to my higher power to remove the feeling/thoughts from me and for knowledge of his will for me; 2) call a friend/sponsor and ask them about their day; 3) find something to do to help another person.

My mind is not a safe place for me most of the time! But is getting safer every day! Good luck.